Why become a member? ×

Sandberg California 5 String Help

Rumple

Hi, I have a few questions for anyone with a Sandberg California 5 that I can't find the answers to on their website.

What is the width at the nut and the 12th or 22nd fret, I'm trying to get an idea of what the neck is like compared to some of the bases I own.

I understand from the pdf on their web site that the bridge string spacing is adjustable but what are the extremes? can you get it down to 17mm?

The next one is the age old weight question but I guess that's going to be dependant on the body wood, I'd be interested in what Basschatters one's weigh in at.

Thanks In Advance

R.

[size=4]the neck profile, and I guess nut width will be different between the T series and V series Californias. I haven't got either at the moment so I can't help you, but it would probably be worth getting in touch with the UK Distributor, [url="http://www.synergydistribution.co.uk/Welcome.html"]Synergy Distribution[/url] who should be able to help you.

As far as weight goes, I have some figures aquired from a Sandberg dealer recently for the California TM5's:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Cal. TM-5 / Ash / Matt: 10,6 lbs[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Cal. TM-5 / Swamp Ash / Highgloss: 9,9 lbs[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Cal. TM-5 / Alder (just to compare) / Highgloss: also 9,9 lbs[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The highgloss paint itself weighs about 1lb apparently, so if you want it to be as light as possible, it's best to go for swampash with a matt finish, although there is an upcharge for swamp ash.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also the California series is heavier than the Basic series as the bodies are bigger. I weighed my Basic Ken Taylor 5 (high gloss on alder) at about 7.5 - 8lb on my (crappy) bathroom scales![/font][/size]

Edited by TRBboy

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very helpful & much appreciated.

Blimey 1lb for the paint, that's a lot! so if they 'heavy relic' it it only adds 1/2lb I guess? :lol:

If no one come back to me here with the info on the neck (T Series) then I'll contact the distributor or Sandberg directly.

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1340311075' post='1702828']
I have a TT5 or JJ5 nut width is 46mm and 12th is 65mm oh and its for sale.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply that's very helpful, 65mm at the 12th fret makes me think the neck would be on the wide side for me, SR5's seem to suit me and they are only just wider then that at the 22nd fret.

Thanks again and good luck with your sale.

R.

I have had both a stingray 5 and a sandberg 5, Stingray def more comfortable, strings are closer together, took a little while to get the hang, of course the scale length also made a difference for me, the 1 inch made all the difference. for my money it would be a stingray everytime, don't get me wrong the sandberg was a lovely instrument and was well built, for me the tone was always a little to polite and this was the driver for me to move on.

best of luck

just realised my sandberg is my avatar

Edited by lowfer

Thanks lowfer, I've come to the conclusion that the SR5 is to date the most comfortable neck for me but that kinda limits the choice of bases other then getting them made for me.

I have a Roscoe at the moment as well and it's amazing but the neck is just too wide and long, I give a sigh of relief when I go back to the MM.