Why become a member? ×

Hi Guys!

jamesf

Hi everybody, just thought i'd introduce myself. My name is James, and i've been playing bass on and off for the past 8 years. i started off playing jazz, moved through metal to industrial, and over the summer was playing in the band for a musical, which took up a lot of time, but was good fun. I'm a producer and sound engineer mainly, and i'm incredibly pedantic when it comes to 'my' sound on bass.

I play a 2001 EBMM Stingray 3EQ, single p'up, black sparkle finish, matching headstock and maple fretboard, and i love it to bits. I also have a 90's Bass Collection SB300, in matte pearlescant purple, absolutely mint condition, and a Hohner B2A Pro in red, one of the good ones with the XLR output and switchable active/passive EMG's. I have a Squier P-special, which plays very well but doesn't get much attention since i got the stingray and the SB300.

Amp-wise, i've been using an ampeg BA-115hp for the past year, but it spent most of it's life being repaired, and was pathetically underpowered when it did actually work. Before that i had a Trace Elliot Series 6 GP7 AH-130 and Peavey 115 BX-BW, which i sold before moving to uni (yes, i'm an idiot, i know).

I'm using a Phil Jones Bass Buddy at the moment, and a pair of Beyer DT150 headphones for practicing. I'm not part of a band at the moment, but i'll have amp GAS soon enough. The Bass Buddy is incredible, and i want to check out some of the PJB amps.

Currently i'm GASsing for a 5 string and an amp of some description, possibly a 'jones as i previously mentioned.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just thought i'd fill you in on my rig, and feel free to call me an idiot for selling my trace, it might just prompt me to buy another one.

James.

Welcome.

I considered PJB stuff having sold my Trace combo last year, but ended up going with a Markbass 121H. Tiny, light, loud, but an acquired taste - and my taste says yum!! The rest of the band say "for goodness sake turn it down" and that when it is on 9 o'clock in & out :)

Also just replaced my first 5'er in 30 years (MM SUB5) from last summer with a G&L L2500 and I would heartily recommend that, or the G&L Tribute equivalent, which I believe is hard to tell apart from the original. In the context of the rock covers I do it sits beautifully, and I am sure there are plenty of other tones in there

The Markbass stuff looks incredible quality, but I've yet to try one out. I'd certainly consider one against the Phil Jones, but then again i might just combine the bass buddy with a power amp and see how that holds up.

As for the 5-string, thanks for the tip on the G&L, i haven't looked too much into them, but i'll be scouring this very forum for every 5'er i can to get some comparatives. I was considering a Dingwall Afterburner, but i don't know how well i'd get along with the Novax system - it looks quite intimidating head-on, i'm not sure how it would look from the playing position. Plus i'd have to spend the next two months food money... again.

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody, and from what little i've read of the forum so far, it's quite apparent that there's a lot of experienced and genuine players, and that i'm not the only one with insufferable GAS! I look forward to bombarding you all with questions in the near future.

J.