Why become a member? ×

Hello from a new member

Pestie

Hello to you all.

Can you help me please? I keep reading about flat wound strings. Are they better, and do they make a difference in the sound of the bass? Why do people prefer them?

Sorry all basic stuff but I am that new to the bass.

Thanks

Mike

[quote name='Mike Vickers' timestamp='1341588307' post='1721500']
I keep reading about flat wound strings. Are they better, and do they make a difference in the sound of the bass? Why do people prefer them?
[/quote]

Hi Mike,

First, you'd get more and better response on another forum, like "General Discussion" or preferably the "Miscellaneous Equipment and Accessories" forum which is specifically for strings, a.o.
Also, one is asked to do a forum search before asking basic questions, as the pros will get fed up with answering the same stuff again and again. I know everybody sins against this though.

That said, in my noob experience, flatwounds have a rounded, warmer tone. AFAIK they're less flexible in tone as well. They live forever. String change twice a year? Forget it. Some people have them on for decades. I have played them a long time ago, and can find one drawback: use them for too long, and roundwounds will feel harsh on the fingers afterwards.

[quote name='Mike Vickers' timestamp='1340968656' post='1712152']
Nice one Jerry. I still haven't fully got to grips with mine yet, and, I am still a very beginning bass player, although a complete convert and really hope to get in a band one day. I am currently interested in a Fender USA P Bass Deluxe. Do you think it is worth spending the dosh on it or will the L-2000 do the job just as well.

best wishes

Mike
[/quote]
You don't need a P Bass - however, you might want one ;)

Hello Jerry

You are spot on there mate, I don't need a P Bass but I did want it so of course I had to have it but do you know, I don't think it is a patch on my L-2000 Tribute. I know I shouldn't say it and I am only a beginner but to me the G&L looks better, sounds better and I think plays better. Never mind, it looks nice hanging on the wall.

best wishes

Mike