Why become a member? ×

Best Synth Pedal for me?

Onox

Just going back to the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer, I agree it's a great pedal but the interface is very complicated and infuriating sometimes. I finally got mine programmed with some great Fuzz and playable Synth tones, but surprisingly I'm really struggling with the Filter only settings. I also have a Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk, but, although the OS is based on the 00Funk circuit, bizarrely I can't get anywhere near that lovely squelchiness out of the OS even on the preset Envelope Filter setting.

Anyone who owns an OS know what I'm doing wrong or got any filter settings they could recommend? I'm playing a passive bass and have tried adjusting the global sensitivity VCF sens parameter on the settings menu and adjusting the VCF peak & sweep. I've got VCF mode in ENV mode.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1340967880' post='1712130']
Anyone who owns an OS know what I'm doing wrong or got any filter settings they could recommend? I'm playing a passive bass and have tried adjusting the global sensitivity VCF sens parameter on the settings menu and adjusting the VCF peak & sweep. I've got VCF mode in ENV mode.

[/quote]

make sure [b]VCF law is set to lin rather than exp[/b].

and try boosting premix db to 5 or more. postmix to mute, or whatever suits.

here's one of mine, no idea how it compares to 00funk though.

peak : 009
ini : 007
att : 050
sus : 028
sweep : 100

note : i tend to play nearer the neck pick-up with this setting.

Edited by phil.i.stein

Many thanks for the tips guys (and sorry for hijacking the thread). Whacking up the treble and using the settings above and I'm getting some really decent squelch out of the squeezer. It's strange, the 00Funk II still seems a much wetter and less sensitive filter in comparison, but making good progress with the env filter settings on the Squeezer now.

Thanks again!

not really settings, but i tend to really only make use of modes 1,2 & 5.

5 is a kind of octave down mode and will only track so far before the difference in pitch 'flattens out' or becomes inaudible.

like i've already alluded to, [b]get an expression pedal for it # [/b]and tweak with the amount of resonance and decay that you want to hear with toe down. also mix with clean signal if you want that, as the sounds on their own can be a bit thin.

a blended fuzz works nicely afterward, like an MXR blowtorch or similar.

# .. it is about the only 'pure' synth pedal i know of that takes an expression pedal, although someone may correct me on that.. but anyway, it does make for a much better experience with the G5.

Edited by phil.i.stein

There are 'formant filters' which are a pair (or more) of band-pass filters that make vowel-like sounds. Most common is the EHX Bassballs and there's also the TWA Little Dipper if you want something ridiculously overpriced.

Another interesting way to get robotty vocal sounds from pedals is putting a gated fuzz into a low-pass envelope filter and then into a sample rate reducer. I came across it by chance one day and accidentally made a whole forum want to buy a Bugcrusher...