Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools SE newbie hardware questions...

ras52

Hi All,

Well I took the plunge and got myself an M-Audio Fast Track interface with Pro Tools SE. Just tinkering at the moment on the "downstairs" desktop PC used for everything, but thinking of setting up in the spare bedroom.

Some questions: the docs (and some cursory googling) recommend using a second hard drive for the audio data. Is this just simply a question of creating new projects on the second drive, or do individual projects need to be split so that the audio files (and only the audio files) are on the second drive?

And can the second drive be a simple USB external drive? (And a USB-powered one at that?)

Thank you!

(I guess I could find the answers to these questions in other forums, but I expect BC answers to be more entertaining :))

ProTools continually writes and reads to the disk your sessions are saved on. It's pretty intensive. If your operating system is on the same disk that can cause problems because your OS continually writes and reads it's system disk too. Hence, a disk dedicated to ProTools is a good idea. You can use USB but they don't officially support USB drives anymore. Ideally, you want your external disk to be as fast as possible, a USB powered one doesn't sound like a high-performance disk to me. Try it, but be prepard to invest if it doesn't work out.

Thanks guys. I have a WD "passport" USB-powered external HD lying around so I'll start using that and see how it goes. If that's not up to it, I imagine that an internal HD would be faster as well as cheaper than an external one...?

Let the experiments begin!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1340008746' post='1697387']
Thanks guys. I have a WD "passport" USB-powered external HD lying around so I'll start using that and see how it goes. If that's not up to it, I imagine that an internal HD would be faster as well as cheaper than an external one...?

Let the experiments begin!
[/quote]

Definitely :)