Why become a member? ×

Another synth bass question.....

BarnacleBob

Would a dead spot on a bass fretboard affect the triggered sound in any way. Am i right in assuming the pickup (Roland GK3B or whatever ) would detect the drop off in sustain and the midi signal react accordingly? Hope I am making myself clear here. Have a nice old Overwater which has dead spots around the 7th on the D string but don't want to get rid of it as it is a rare old bird but have plenty of keyboards/racks.

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1339864222' post='1695608']
Would a dead spot on a bass fretboard affect the triggered sound in any way. Am i right in assuming the pickup (Roland GK3B or whatever ) would detect the drop off in sustain and the midi signal react accordingly? Hope I am making myself clear here. Have a nice old Overwater which has dead spots around the 7th on the D string but don't want to get rid of it as it is a rare old bird but have plenty of keyboards/racks.

BB
[/quote]

yes, you're correct.

speak to Shep about this. it's why he bothers with a decent bass as a trigger for synth.

I think you're talking about midi specifically - as in using a midi pickup system to control synths an rack gear... Which is something I have very very little (almost no) experience in.

I do however understand that sustain etc will effect midi based signals in the same way as other stuff.

Si's point about a great bass = great triggering is a reason I use a top end bass with very very even tone (in mids as well as bass) as dead spots, feet rattle and imbalances tone between strings can drastically effect analog pedals response. Having the best I can has made a huge difference to that and I've had pretty much no triggering issues since.

As for midi - there are better people to ask. ped might be a start. He uses a VB-99 system.

Shep