Why become a member? ×

Fender Marcus Miller - JRetro?

carlosfandango

Not sure if this is what you're asking but the best thing you can do to a Miller Jap is rip out that $5 pre-amp and put in an Aguilar OBP1......

I'm sure the John East Circuit will be a good upgrade from that piece of crap fender put in too....

Cheers

Marcus

Hey Carl
For what it's worth I had an East premap in my MM5 and it was awesome. On the basis that Fender seem to put crap pre-amps in even their best instruments, I'd be confident in saying that the difference with a J-Retro in that MM would be huge. Over and above that, I guess you're talking about that beautiful sunburst model as well, so I think the combination would be pretty unbeatable!
Chris

Chris

[quote name='Marcus' post='18937' date='Jun 16 2007, 09:39 PM']Not sure if this is what you're asking but the best thing you can do to a Miller Jap is rip out that $5 pre-amp and put in an Aguilar OBP1......

I'm sure the John East Circuit will be a good upgrade from that piece of crap fender put in too....

Cheers

Marcus[/quote]

MB1. :) I have it on very good authority that the aguilar obp1 is as close as youll get to the miller sound.i had a mm jazz and did look into this, as the bass was great but that fender preamp was about as impresive as a wet firework.shame really fender nearly got it right!.the bass gallery stock aguilar.

MB1. :)

The aguilar(18v active preamp). obp1 was recomended as a direct replacement for fenders 9v ,2band eq active preamp(which was pants).the pickups on the marcus miller fender would already be suitable for an active preamp.with a normal standard fender jazz not being active... but passive,i think youd have to change the pickups to use it.

So it won't work with standard vintage JB pickups?

Looking at MM spec it doesn't mention passive or active pickups:

[quote]Tonal magic comes from a pair of vintage-style Jazz Bass single-coil pickups; the two-band active EQ has an active/passive mini-toggle switch.

Pickups 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups

Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
Tone 1. Active Bass Boost/Cut,
Tone 2. Treble Boost/Cut

Pickup Switching 2-Way Mini Toggle Switch for Active/Passive Mode.
In Passive Mode, Only The Two Volume Controls Function.
In Active Mode, Both Volume and Tone Controls Function.[/quote]

Definately wouldn't have to change the pickups. The MM Jazz pickups are just standard '75 vintage coils which you can buy separately. I think MB1 is trying to say that the pickups on the MM are designed to be used with an active pre-amp whilst the standard is not, however this is not really the case.