Why become a member? ×

Doublethumbing

Root-Note

Hi, I have developed a bizzare drive for technique recently and one of the techniques I am learning is Doublethumbing, unfortunately... I am sh*te, I have looked around Youtube checking out videos by people like MarloweDK and Casimer (I was also told by a friend about a Victor Wooten Doublethumb lesson on Youtube but I couldn't find it) but after all the looking and practising I still have no way of making it sound nice, particularly as my thumb keeps snagging on the up-pluck, If anyone has any tips or something even remotely useful please could you help a fellow bassist.

Thank you for reading

First thing is the same as every technique, just do it slowly. Painfully slow.

Here's two riffs I got going on it with though. The first is from Primus - Ballad of Bodacious. I'm not sure if he double thumbs it but I found it quite an easy way into it as long as you can think of your thumb as a plec.

[attachment=109624:bodacious.png]

It's all slapped but the 2 notes with the S over, make them your 'up thumb'. I found just bringing the technique in one note at a time made it much easier than trying to do a whole line of it.

After that I was working on the main riff from Power - Marcus Miller. Obviously its insanely fast so slow it down, but the idea I took from it was just practice your scales up and down, to a metronome, using your thumb like a plec again. Just try them slow and make sure you're getting a good tone, if you're not then you need to go right back to the start because there's no point playing something flashy if it's gonna sound rubbish!

Hope this helped.

Check out Marcus Miller doing "What Is Hip?"

Obviously, he's damned good at it, but the one thing this shows is basically, the majority of the rhythm is on one note, so keep practising without trying to do too much melody to start with.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaHKL3uOkLc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaHKL3uOkLc[/url]

• 2 weeks later...