Why become a member? ×

Wired IEM for bass only

AxelF

Hi guys, hope this is the right section for this - after one gig too many where I'm struggling to hear my bass clearly onstage I'm thinking of a simple in ear system so I can maybe have one ear plugged in for a bit more of me, while still getting the ambient stage sound.

I don't sing so its purely for bass - what I was thinking of was something maybe attached to the strap with an instrument in and out and then just a headphone too, so I can send my signal through it (preferably with no tone colouration etc) to the pedal board as normal.

I'd rather not have the hassle of wireless. I saw the Rolls PM351 but to be honest that looks like overkill for what I need, are there any good headphone amps/small & light DI boxes that would do the trick? I vaguely remember reading something here ages ago about a member who builds their own range of practice amp/pedal things, would they be suitable? Many thanks in advance....

Cool, thanks for the lightening fast reply! That looks perfect apart from it looks to be PSU powered only and ideally I'm after something I can attach to my strap and not have to worry about trailing a power cable behind me. Also I worry about colouration of the signal.. I realise I'm probably asking the impossible here by the way! Thanks again though :)

I reckon you could put one of these [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=art+headtap&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8373815830046790484&sa=X&ei=9uLNT-XUA-2Y0QWgqfyIDA&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAA"]Art Headtap[/url] between your head and cab and monitor your own signal through earbuds

Anyone tried this?

I found that I needed fairly good IEMs - normal ipod earbuds don't do the job when playing alongside a drummer, with monitors on stage etc. The bottom end just blows out and distorts too much.

I got some Shure SE 350s for this - not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive in-ears. They work great - they have two bass drivers and a tweeter in each earpiece. Also you can fit various types and sizes of foam / flanged plugs to them to find out what works best for you.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I guess its more complicated than I thought it would be...

If I've got it right, it the monitor goes between the bass and pedal board its gonna need to be powered and finding a small, light, battery powered one that doesn't colour the signal as it passes through is gonna be tough.

If it was to go between the board and amp head, or between amp and cab it could be passive, but then there's the issue of trailing a headphone cable from amp head or floorboard to me, which I'd really like to avoid..

The easy solution is looking like maybe a wireless transmitter on the floorboard running to a wireless pack on the strap, that would solve the issues of power and signal colouration but it seems a bit of overkill for what I need and the distance the wireless signal would be travelling! Hopefully I'm missing something simple somewhere! :)

Edited by AxelF

[quote name='AxelF' timestamp='1338973106' post='1681707']
Thanks for all the suggestions - I guess its more complicated than I thought it would be...

If I've got it right, it the monitor goes between the bass and pedal board its gonna need to be powered and finding a small, light, battery powered one that doesn't colour the signal as it passes through is gonna be tough.

If it was to go between the board and amp head, or between amp and cab it could be passive, but then there's the issue of trailing a headphone cable from amp head or floorboard to me, which I'd really like to avoid..

The easy solution is looking like maybe a wireless transmitter on the floorboard running to a wireless pack on the strap, that would solve the issues of power and signal colouration but it seems a bit of overkill for what I need and the distance the wireless signal would be travelling! Hopefully I'm missing something simple somewhere! :)
[/quote]

how about getting a cheap (used) multifx pedal (in bypass mode) after your main board with headphone output, and an extension cord ? i realise this won't solve the lead trailing thing, but just trail it along with your bass input lead up to the board ? .. i may not be thinking along the right lines here .. :unsure:

Edited by phil.i.stein