Why become a member? ×

noll 3 band thinking about replacing it with a john east 4knob system?

Hi all i got a gorgeous Mayones elegance 6 stringer,
noll 3 band and a set of le fay rough crystal pick ups.
Really like the feel of the bass and the attention to detail, love playing it acoustically .
but its very trebly and a tad weak through my amp.
i have a sei 5 and 4 and they sound great trough my amp but the noll seems a bit too clean!!
was thinking of just banging a 4 knob john east into the bass any thoughts ?
i hve a john east on my sei 4 and im sure i got a special john east on my wood and tronics bass, my sei 5 and 6 have shack and barts so they are fine.
( i wanna change the knobs on the mayones as they are old looking and feel old too, so looking at £40 quid just for that ).
many thanks
ziggy

How sure are you that a preamp change will do what you are expecting? You can certainly increase the output (Klaus might even modify the preamp for you if you send it to him). John's preamps are very clean also (and a little sweeter in the high end). How much of what you hear is the character of the instrument rather than the preamp?

hi guvnor,
i think the pre amp is very un biased i go trough a epi502 and all my basses sound like themselves as it were,
im gonna persevere with the bass and sound and maybe spend a bit of of time using the two channels on my epi head to there full use.
but thanks for youre kind words.
regards
ziggy.