Why become a member? ×

this one's a fixer upper

Been re-listed for much cheaper: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-orange-valve-amp-/180898952053?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D180892939980%252B180892939980%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8901307916126561056#ht_500wt_1217

I'm not shitting you here, but I think that might have been mine a long long time ago.

Myself (and a few guys who played in bands locally) found this place up in Chalk Farm that used to sell on ex-hire and ex-pro gear. Loads of Peavey stuff I recall. Anyhow, I picked up an Orange head from them (there was an additional Orange covered piece at the back of the amp that had 'Property of Davey Johnstone' written in thick black marker. (Given the providence of some of the other gear on sale, there's a reasonable to good chance it was Elton John's guitarist.)

Anyhow, me and a mate got it home, on foot, by tube, train and bus and it was DOA; I gave it to my dad (who worked for the MoD in Chobham) and he got one of the techs to look at it and it arrived home working just lovely. It worked for about six months...I did two or three little gigs with it and it caught fire at a jam at someone's house (I can actually remember we were busking through the remix version of Japan's 'Adolescent Sex' when smoke started coming out of it). We yanked the power chord and threw tea/coffee/coke over it to put it out, before it set the house on fire.

It sat in my dads shed for a while and then I saw an advert for a store in Denmark Street saying they were buying all things Orange, so off it went. I guess this would have been early 80s.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson