Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between these Yamahas

Mottlefeeder

Any of you Yamaha enthusiasts may be able to help me -

I am looking for a 5-string fretless, and have two Yamahas on my short list.

The TRB 5FII is discontinued, but still available from GAK at £650, and the TRB 1005F seems to be its replacement, and is being discounted to £500 at places like Dolphin.

Is the TRB 5FII a better bass, and if so, what more do I get for the extra £150?

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='181037' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:29 PM']Any of you Yamaha enthusiasts may be able to help me -

I am looking for a 5-string fretless, and have two Yamahas on my short list.

The TRB 5FII is discontinued, but still available from GAK at £650, and the TRB 1005F seems to be its replacement, and is being discounted to £500 at places like Dolphin.

Is the TRB 5FII a better bass, and if so, what more do I get for the extra £150?[/quote]
We're writing so much this evening that this has already slipped off the radar - bump for comments please.

I believe the above is correct. The TRB 100x are indeed not MIJ but probably in <enter far eastern country here>. That said, i've played a few TRB100x series and they've been great. The main difference I suppose is body wood, the TRB5II will be ash, the TRB1005 will be alder with flamed maple top I believe.

If you can afford it then go for the TRB5II, if you can't then don't worry about it - you're still getting a fantastically good bass.

Yeah, as others have said.

TRB5IIF was Japan made the TRB1005F is Korean made. The QC of the Korean ones is excellent though, I've had both a TRB1005 and TRB1006 and there was nothing at all I could fault about them, think Lakland Skyline quality.

I believe all the electronics gubbins and hardware are essentially the same. It was presumably a strategic move on Yamaha's part to enable them to offer a higher wood spec (quilted maple top) at a lower price.

For the extra £150 you get a crafter in Japan sticker instead of a crafted in Korea sticker.

Pete

I played a TRB1004 the other day at a friend's shop... Yes, they are inferior to the older Japanese TRB II's. The comments MACHINES made about the wood are correct - It is a cheaper wood body with a maple cap. It felt fine quality-wise & had huge presence, but felt like a bass relying on it's electronics, rather than the wood. My own TRB-6 II has a much more centred sound and is a lot sweeter. The new 1004 I played was very harsh sounding. Definitely cheaper, but worth a go all the same.

My advice would be to go for the Japanese one from GAK, although make sure it's not the last one - I've been eyeing those up myself!

Thanks for these - its given me lots to think about. My existing RBX 765A is Alder/Maple/Rosewod, and that has never bothered me.

The GAK description talks about a 1998 specification change, and the picture is a TRB5F (Mk I), so I think my first job is to contact them and confirm what it is they are selling. I've tried e-mailing them, and got a reply asking me to phone them!

I phoned Mark at GAK, and they have no stock of TRB5FIIs, nor does he remember them ever having them. He contacted Yamaha UK who confirmed that they were discontinued, and no stock remained for the UK.

I had also asked about the TRB1005F, so Mark got the story on that too. The fretted version ships in bulk, and can be found for £500. the fretless version is rare, (Yamaha UK have not seen one for the last 6 months) and Mark could sell me one for £600 (rrp £739). However, the lead time is currently 6 months.

Based on the above, it sounds as if I need to find a good 2nd hand 5-string Yamaha, and pay to have it defretted. I could probably even buy a new TRB1005 and have it defretted and not be far over £600 total.

And I thought I was sorted...

Yesterday I Googled TRB1005F, and started phoning the suppliers whos names came up. Virtually all of the ones I was able to contact had no stock, but would order it in.

The exception was the Bass Gallery, who had one in stock, were able to talk knowledgeably about that bass and its competitors, offered the bass at a good price, and got my business.