Why become a member? ×

Power Amp - wattage @ 120v as opposed to 240v

warwickhunt

Quick question - if, according to the manufacturers spec (in the manual) a power amp (class D switch-mode if it makes a difference) is rated at 700w @ 120v (the only voltage rating that the USA manufacturer quotes), will that mean that it delivers the same power at 240v (I'd have thought the output figure would have lessened) or am I misinterpreting something?

In terms of amplification, the output will still be 700W.
Power amps (the components not the overall 'box') don't work on mains voltage, they work on much lower DC voltages and don't care (or know) where that voltage is derived from - as long as they get the appropriate voltage they'll work.

EDIT: Like what Mr F just managed to say in one sentence. :lol:

Edited by icastle

Nice one! I've been sorting out various fuse ratings for conversion of USA to UK running (different bit of kit) and I know that the voltage had a direct relationship with the amperes required for the fuse rating so wondered if there was anything in the actual power output figures (you know what sellers are like at quoting the best figures that they can :D ).

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1338131009' post='1669907']
Nice one! I've been sorting out various fuse ratings for conversion of USA to UK running (different bit of kit) and I know that the voltage had a direct relationship with the amperes required for the fuse rating so wondered if there was anything in the actual power output figures (you know what sellers are like at quoting the best figures that they can :D ).
[/quote]

Only the mains fuse rating will be different. Any fuses on the secondary side of the transformer, or DC fuses will be the same.

As a guide, halve the mains voltage = double the current & vice versa.