Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses - where to start?

Doc B

After dabbling with a Bass Collection 5str and in the more hi-fi, hi-tech, active sounds of my graphite neck Status Groove (currently for sale [post="0"]BTW - link[/post]) I've decided to simplify things a bit go back to all passive 4str basses.

In short I am GASsing for a J.

I've looked at loads of different ones, mainly Fenders and Squiers and I really like the look of the 70s style natural ones with maple boards and blocks. The US version is way out of my price range but the VM Squier is a definite contender. I've also tended to prefer maple necks to rosewood in the past as they cut through a bit better. All the other J types look a bit boring in comparison.

Are the VMs worth a punt?

As it is a more standard type of bass I'm also considering upgrading it as the low cost will leave me a bit of spare cash - I'm thinking Badass II and possibly some posher pups (any recommendations?). Also are Hipshot Lightweight tuners worth the money? I will definitely have it professionally set up too.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a shop with one in stock as they seem to be selling fast - Soundcontrol Glasgow had none left and may have to wait until June!

Same here...

I tried a couple of Vintage Modifieds in Swindon today, but they were spoiled by far too much fret buzz. It was impossible to get a clean note anywhere on the neck. Hopefully that was a one-off shop with bad setups.

Edited by Maine

I have owned several jazzes, and still do , and without a doubt my VM jazz is one of the best, a great all round bass that truly does blow away many Mexican jazzes ive played, although i believe the standard is on the up, what about a Jap standard from the guitar emporium, the Jap ones are really great basses.
Heres my squier to whet the appetite. it does have some buzz, but a shim helped:

Edited by gafbass02

VM Jazz's are great. I'd keep the pups, and change the bridge for a BA or maybe a Gotoh. Having said that, the standard bridge, although basic, is fairly substantial, and made of thicker metal than many older fenders. Once set up - they're pretty good as standard.

my mate had one of these until last week. he only got shut because he part x'd it against a warwick jazzman.he fitted a badass bridge with no problems at all so you shouldnt have to shim the neck if you do upgrade to a thicker item.i had a jazz costing twice as much as these and it blew mine away without breaking sweat and from what he told me the pups were specially designed for this bass.
hope this helps.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='180696' date='Apr 19 2008, 08:21 PM']my mate had one of these until last week. he only got shut because he part x'd it against a warwick jazzman.he fitted a badass bridge with no problems at all so you shouldnt have to shim the neck if you do upgrade to a thicker item.i had a jazz costing twice as much as these and it blew mine away without breaking sweat and from what he told me the pups were specially designed for this bass.
hope this helps.[/quote]

Cheers

BTW - I like the Buddy Christ Avatar :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='180798' date='Apr 20 2008, 12:18 AM']Cheers Doc,your welcome and thanks for the compliment.[/quote]

no problem - I post as Darth Balls elsewhere on the web

Good to find other Kevin Smith / View Askew fans - BUUUUNNNGGGG!