Why become a member? ×

One for the Technical Guru's - How do I run two rigs simultaneously when using my rack multi effects unit

BH12neil

Hi there,

Can one of you technical gurus out there help me with this conundrum? In addition to my main GK 1001 RB II and Neo Cab rig I have a second amp, an Ashdown MAG 300 II with an Ashdown cab. It would be nice to use this second rig simultaneously with the GK whilst using effects. The Ashdown has a FX send and return just as the GK has, which my best guess tells me that it could be possible to achieve this. I have a TC Electronics M300 Multi Effects rack unit that has two channels, two left hand and two right hand which I guess could be ordered with the GK signal running in one left/right and the Ashdown in the other left/right.

Is this feasible, would I need a bypass loop box to make it work and what cables would be required to achieve this, if indeed its even possible? Where in the signal chain would any bypass box go, I've thought about all these questions long and hard and now my head hurts and I still don't understand or know the answer.

I hope I've explained it simply enough for everyone to understand what it is that I am trying to achieve here.

Any comments really appreciated.

BH12neil

If I've read it right then you'd just need something to split the signal I personally wouldn't use both preamps though and would tend towards;

Bass > Amp you prefer the preamp on > Effects Loop Send into either a signal splitter or if the effects unit will split it internally from a mono signal straight in > One output into one effects loop return on one amp, other output into the other amp's effects loop return.

If that makes sense!

Edited by simwells

So it might be a case of plug your bass into the fx rack in & then take a cable from the left out on the fx rack to one amp's input & the same from the right out.
I wouldn't bother with the fx loops on your amps unless you want to bypass the EQs on both of the amps. Then just plug the FX rack's outs into the "FX return" on each amp.
Or if you just want to use the GK's EQ, plug the bass into the GK's input, take the "FX send" from the GK into the FX rack & then take the out's to each of the "FX returns".

Too many options now? :D

Thanks for your comments, still a little confused but then that is my usual state of mind. I am going to opt for using just the GK amp but both sets of cabs simultaneously when using the rack multi effects. Just for clarification of my understanding of this signal chain when I get home I am going to write out the full signal chain as I understand it to be. I would really appreciate someone checking it for me.

Once again thanks for the help, its really appreciated.

Regards,

BH12neil

I would use the amp which has your favorite pre-amp. Take the effects send from that amp to the input of the effects unit. Then one output of the effects unit goes to the effects return on your favorite amp. Another output of the effects unit goes to the effects return on your 2nd amp (bypassing this pre-amp). Simple?

Right here we go, I have done a signal diagram as I understand the solution to be. The blue areas are already in place whilst the red areas are where proposed changes in cabling to and from need be made to achieve my goal. I hope this helps to clarifies what I am trying to achieve, they say that a diagram saves 100 words.

All comments, advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Regards,

BH12neil

Bass -> FX Unit -> Input Amp 1 -> FX Send Amp 1 -> Input Amp 2

The only con with this setup is that if the fx send of amp 1 is post eq it will affect the signal going into amp 2 but if you can EQ it back to the way you want it on amp 2 it will all be fine!

Well after having a little problem with being able to get my diagram to appear I think I have sorted out that problem so it should now be attached and be able to be opened by you good people, also its been updated a little following some advice from a friend. On the basis of this signal chain will both amps be running at the same time, if so I guess I can EQ the pair of amps but I would prefer the EQ to run solely from the Gallien Krueger rig purely because I believe its the better one of the two, its my favourite and its therefore my primary rig.

So notwithstanding the comments above from you good folk who have already posted, what do you technical gurus think of this plan, will it work and allow me to use two rigs simultaneously in the manner that i have explained in the diagram?

All comments really appreciated,

Regards,

BH12neil