Why become a member? ×

replacement psu for Dunlop MXR pedal?

Fionn

Hi there.

Can anyone reccomend me a decent quality and reliable PSU that is compatible with Jim Dunlop MXR pedals.

I can't find a Dunlop ECB-003 anywhere ... they seem to be impossible to source. It's a 9v ac adapter with negative pin polarity. Google has revealed a few which say they are compatible replacements but I know that theres a lot of crap out there.

What are other owners of MXR pedals using?

I've used MXR stuff with loads of different mains adapters. The 'only use JD/MXR PSUs' is just marketing guff. Anything that has a 2.1mm barrel, is negative centre and delivers 9v is fine, and to be honest, that's the vast majority of PSUs.

Where people tend to get picky is whether it's regulated or switched-mode etc... due to mains hum etc...

Don't worry too much about current (mA). Just so long as the PSU delivers the same amount or more than the amount required by your pedal then you'll be fine - excess current gets rejected and sent back to the mains without damaging the pedal whatsoever - the same is NOT true of voltage (the 9v bit).

Less than 9v into the pedal will either sound crap or won't work, and more than 9v (e.g. a 12v supply) will release the 'magic smoke' from your pedal and it'll never work again due to blown capacitors / ICs etc... :(