Why become a member? ×

Anyone got the 'Bass Heroes' book? Need help.

Bilbo

I am making corrections for the typesetting of my Paul Chambers book and included a quote that I [i]think [/i]I got from the Jerry Jemmot interview contained in the Tom Mulhern book 'Bass Heroes' (p. 181). Trouble is, I gave the book to Oxfam about six months ago!! The quote reads:

[indent=1]I was shy, withdrawn, and “lost” during my early childhood. Fortunately I was “found” at the age of 10 by the great bassist, Mr. Paul Chambers when my sister Janet played the Miles Davis Quintet recording of “If I Were a Bell”. And I declared “That’s what I want to do!” The persistently passionate, articulate and funky bass lines that Paul laid down lit a fire in me, as they still do today.[/indent]

Can anyone confirm that this is the book that the quote is from and then, if it is, confirm the page number (I have all the other details)? Thanks, guys.

Not sure that it is... the nearest I have is this:

'When I was about 10, my sister, who's four years older than me, got into jazz and picked up a lot of Miles Davis records, so I heard Paul Chambers (the bassist for Miles during the '50s). Once I heard him, I said to myself, 'That's what I want to do.' It was as clear and simple as that.' Page 181.

I'm just out of the door, but I'll have a close look later. It's quite possible I missed something..!

Bilbo,

Not sure this is the book as your quote is more specific. The Bass Heroes book quote indeed on p.181 reads, "When I was about 10, my sister, who's four years older than me, got into jazz and picked up a lot of Miles Davis records, so I heard Paul Chambers (the bassist for Miles during the '50s). Once I heard him, I said to myself, 'That's what I want to do.' It was clear and simple as that."

visog