Why become a member? ×

Modified EHX Bassballs - any idea about adding a level control?

mcnach

I love my EHX Bassballs.
In fact, I just bought another. I had a nano version originally, and just bought the larger USA version which has been modified to give you access to the two internal trim pots with two externally mounted knobs. I love it. But I find it a bit frustrating that as you increase turn the main knob to the right, the volume increases, especially with the distortion switched on.

This pedal would improve a lot if there was a way to adjust the final level.

I can put it in a loop of a Boss LS2, which is what I normally do when I have a pedal that gives me trouble level-wise. But I was wondering whether it would be easy to add a level control. I haven't seen this modification described, so I suspect not, but... maybe I'm wrong!

essentially like a passive guitar volume?

I thought of something like that, but I am not sure what kind of value pots would be appropriate, and fear it would change the tone too much while turning the volume down (a compromise I could maybe live with, I can do a test before drilling any extra holes and see if I like the results), so I was wondering more about an active option... probably much better to use the LS-2 for that, eh? ;)

Limiter? Rubbish!!!

It's an easy mod. Don't put the pot just before the output jack - that'll control both effected and uneffected signals. You want to put the volume pot between the output of the circuit and the footswitch so you're only controlling the effected volume. Done this a few times with mini qtrons (actually have one in my work bag returning it to Gareth Hughes of this parish today - although for this pedal I removed the rotary switch, hardwired the pedal to low pass and put the new volume pot where the rotary switch was - stealthy, makes the pedal much more useable and there's no change in tone that I can hear).

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1336715016' post='1649815']
Limiter? Rubbish!!!

It's an easy mod. Don't put the pot just before the output jack - that'll control both effected and uneffected signals. You want to put the volume pot between the output of the circuit and the footswitch so you're only controlling the effected volume. Done this a few times with mini qtrons (actually have one in my work bag returning it to Gareth Hughes of this parish today - although for this pedal I removed the rotary switch, hardwired the pedal to low pass and put the new volume pot where the rotary switch was - stealthy, makes the pedal much more useable and there's no change in tone that I can hear).
[/quote]

aha! indeed, that sounds like a great mod to the micro QTron with its volume bump... and I only ever used it on Low Pass anyway...
I must try this with the Bassballs... when I gather the courage to open it up and mess with it ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1336734953' post='1650142']
aha! indeed, that sounds like a great mod to the micro QTron with its volume bump... and I only ever used it on Low Pass anyway...
I must try this with the Bassballs... when I gather the courage to open it up and mess with it ;)
[/quote]

Give me a shout if you're stuck and I'll offer any assistance I can.