Why become a member? ×

Is it worth that extra string?

JwK94

Hey there, i'm currently looking into a couple of fretless basses that i'm considering buying.
One is a squier VM jazz (the natural maple one) with a fretless fender neck on it, the other is a defretted MIM 5 string jazz.
The 5 string is about £150 more and i'm not sure which to go for, is it worth the extra £150 for the extra string? Any money saved by buying the 4 string would go on uprgrades anyway.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, cheers :)

If you really want to venture into the 5 string end of things, go ahead but I think you can get much nicer basses for the same money than the MIM Vs for what it's worth. The G&L L-2500 Tribute series is of particular mention, I've seen one or two defretted ones for sale on this forum for example.

If I were you I'd just go for the VMJ, they're cracking basses, I'm thinking of buying one myself.

Oooh nah squire, I'd be careful if I were you. I picked up a five string once and totally forgot how to play. The extra string flummoxed me it did. Wasn't right for weeks.

Edited by daz

If you're buying your fretless, I'd stick with a four string - my experience is it takes a while to learn to play a fretless consistently in tune.

It also takes a while to perfect a technique with a 5 string which includes sufficient muting to stop the low B from ringing when you're playing other notes - as well as the complexities of getting the most out of the fifth string, and maybe altering some of your patterns to play lines on a 5 string.

For me, the thought of learning to play a 5 and a fretless all at once would be too much.

A Squire will be fine IMO, and you may want to upgrade later if you like it.

I've played jazz fretlesses and they're nice - I only own Musicman basses so my fretless is a Stingray H which I bought on Ebay at a good price - and it's an awesome instrument, and produces a great fretless sound - instant Pino sound, with the added bonus of being able to sound like a regular Stingray with a tweek of technique and EQ - I use it regularly in a couple of bands.

Best of luck with your purchase.