Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay iB Modified

pantherairsoft

[i]Stolen from my website & blog: [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/review-tc-electronic-nd-1-nova-delay-ib-modified.html"]Shep on Bass - Review: TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay iB Modified[/url] (It looks a little prettier on my site :))[/i]

This review marks the first of a series of pedal video demonstrations I have been working on. In an attempt to keep the videos slightly more 'audience friendly' I will be releasing each along with a full review which details the functions of the units in greater detail.

[b]The TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay iB Modified.[/b]

I have chosen to start with the TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay iB Modified version as there are limited demonstrations of the Nova Delay units about, even less of them regarding the iB Modified version and less still that cover the pedals usage on bass. As such, here is my video demo (watch it in HD if your net connection can take it):

[media]http://youtu.be/NSBDMyjBil0[/media]

Demonstration above was recorded using an OLP 5 string Stingray copy (my Roscoe is 'in the shop') into a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 & Barefaced Big Twin T. The audio was recorded by blending a DI from the Genz with a Condenser mic in front of the cab via a Tascam Audio Interface.

[i]Please note: In the interest of accuracy the bass has been untreated in order to preserve the full range of low frequencies. This may mean that lower quality speakers such as laptop speakers may struggle to produce the bass & low-mids at volume and produce audible distortion. To really hear how great this pedal is please use high quality headphones or speakers.[/i]

My thanks to MrVincetti for help with shooting and editing all the video.

[b]SPECIFICATION...[/b]
Digital modelling delay with 6 studio-quality delay types
Two switch-able settings – manual and preset
9 User programmable presets
Up to 2290 ms delay time (BPM display also available)
Audio Tapping™ - Audio-generated tap tempo
3 Modulation types
Delay spillover
Powered by 12V DC (power supply included)
[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/nova-delay-ib-modified.asp"]Link to manufacturers site.[/url]

The iB Modified version differs from the regular ND-1 Nova Delay by way of a custom input buffer which alters the character of the the attack. This is described as giving a more 'transaprent' tone than the 'standard' ND-1 offering. It also comes with a lovely red paint job.

Details on delay types (including modelling delay) can be found in my '[url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/3/24/signal-chain-bassics-part-v-echo-echo-echo-echo.html"]Signal Chain BASSics, Part V: Echo echo echo echo[/url]' post.

[b]FEATURES: 9/10[/b]
'Feature packed' is the first thing that comes to mind when talking about this unit. The video demonstrations covers a range of the functions but this pedal hides so much more. In the video we can see:[list]
[*]A large amount of control over delay time, tone, mix and feedback
[*]3 types of chorus & vibrato modulations
[*]6 types of delay available (4 shown on the video)
[*]6 clock divisions to drastically alter the delay
[/list]
Just incase the video did not clearly represent the delay types well enough, here is a run down of the 4 mono types:[list]
[*]Delay Line - This is a traditional delay offering solid repeats in accordance to the position of the knobs and settings. It has a classic 'dotted' style character to the sound.
[*]Dynamic - This setting monitors your input signal and 'holds back' the delay until that input signal drops. This means when you are playing a busy bass line, no delay will sound and mess up the groove. As soon as you hold back and leave space the delay will be heard. It also has more of a 'throbbing' or 'pulsing' character to it.
[*]Reverse - This samples your input and plays it back in reverse. On single notes it can be hard to tell the difference between this and the Delay Line setting, but as soon as you play multiple notes, slides or a groove it gets seriously crazy!
[*]Slapback - This repeats the note you play once and once only. Depending on the the tempo/delay time setting this will vary from a whole note played after yours OR what appears as a 'thickening' of the note you play as the sounds 'overlap' each other.
[/list]
As if these function weren't enough, the Nova Delay also has 9 programmable presets, making it one of the most versatile delay pedals on the market. Each preset can store specific knob positions for each of the controls, a modulation time, subdivision, your choice of delay spillover or not (so the last delayed note fades after the unit is bypassed) and your choice of whether the preset saves a specific tempo, or works to a global tempo. This effectively means you can hit the stage with 10 delays (9 presets, plus the 'manual' delay - that is the pedal working to the actual position of the knobs) ready to go. This really beats much of the opposition (even the well loved Boss DD-20 Giga Delay can only muster 4 presets) into a pulp.

The units switching is innovative and employs non-latching foot switches (like those found on Moog's Moogerfooger pedals) for a soft touch approach. With the foot switches you can easily bypass/activate the unit, use tap tempo to override the current tempo, change presets (which can also be done easily with a button just above the foot switch) and activate the innovative 'Audio Tapping' function.
Audio Tapping is another TC innovation which allows you to set the BPM/ms delay tempo by strumming your strings rather than tapping your foot... super cool and very musical. Play along with the band and your delay sync's to you! For on-the-fly changes to delay, I have never found anything anywhere near as useful.

The ND-1 also sports stereo inputs/outputs catering for both mono and stereo set ups. Two of the six delay types (not discussed in the video) are specifically deigned for stereo set ups as follows (using either of the following with a regular mono set up will achieve the same result as the Delay Line setting):[list]
[*]Ping Pong - This setting sends the delayed notes to alternating outputs (so left, then right, then left again). This gives a 'bouncing' sensation.
[*]Pan - This setting causes the delayed notes to smoothly fade from left to right outputs and back again creating an almost phasing effect.
[/list]
It's hard to fault the unit for features. If I had to pick fault I suppose I could criticise the lack of sound-on-sound looper, which has become a part of many high quality delay pedals recently, including most of the ND-1's direct opposition. Even TC's newer (and somewhat stripped back) delay pedal, the TC Electronic Flashback Delay (which I also own and will be reviewing in the very near future) has a looper function so it's a shame one was left out of the ND-1. To be fair to the Nova Delay, it is a unit that sets out to be a studio grade delay pedal which is feature packed... and for that purpose it simply excels! Annoyingly the ND-1 does not have midi capabilities, but makes up for it with great and precise control over its tempo functions.

It falls just short of serious top marks due to it's pesky requirement for 12V DC (and needs plenty of juice - close to 1000mA) meaning you need an adapter to daisy chain it or keep it on its own supply. A minor niggle... but still a niggle.

[b]TONE/SOUND QUALITY: 9/10[/b]
I'm coming at this from a bass players perspective and from that perspective this thing is lush! Hopefully the video has demonstrated one VERY important point - The ND-1 iB Modified does not suck ANY tone from the bass. Your full rich sound goes untouched. After testing the unit with a low B string as well as a few octave effects, I can confirm that it even handles seriously low frequencies without any compromise in tone or any audible distortion.

Not cutting the low-end is a serious selling point to me as a bass player as while I have used (and owned) a number of well made analog delay pedals that don't suck my tone, I have always struggled to find a digital/modeling delay that did not either have a poor buffer, sucked tone or that struggled to reproduce the really low lows from the bass. The moment I tried the ND-1 I was sold. It lets me hear 'MY' tone being repeated and delayed. I am unsure if the iB Modified buffer has anything to do with this stunning response (I have only managed to use the original ND-1 in a store showroom which is never the best place for tone comparison) but can confirm that this is a bass players dream!

It's not all about the bass though... In digital mode the top end clarity and sparkle is fantastic. A real smooth glassy high which cuts through the mix well. It's clear that real time has been spent during the development of this pedal to ensure an even frequency response for use with a range of instruments.

I'll admit that while the 'color' knob does allow a great range of tonal options, and does provide the tonal flavour of tape and analog delays, it does not cause the delay to decay and break up in the same way as a true analog or tape units. This is not so much a negative as an observation and I appreciate that TC have taken the time to add the colour option in this way. Usually modeling delays will have a 'tape', 'analog' and 'digital' setting as 3 of the main delay types. By changing this approach to a tone knob it means that the 6 delay types that the ND-1 has on offer really become 18 (plus all the in-between positions!)... So you have an analog Delay Line effect, tape Delay Line effect & digital Delay Line etc.

The modulation sounds are however quite subtle on lower frequencies (as you can hear from the video), even when playing up high at the 'dusty' end of the neck the modulations only become really audible when some grit or dirt is applied to the sound. It does feel as though these modulations were created with guitarists in mind and I can confirm that they do cut through MUCH more on treble heavy sounds such as an overdriven guitar. Please don't think that makes the modulation 'unusable' on bass. It still adds a nice sense of depth and motion to delayed sounds on the bass and I have found myself using the modulation settings more and more with my live work. Modulation type 3 is the most audible on bass and has a nice organic chorus tone to it.

[b]BUILD QUALITY: 10/10[/b]
Honestly I can't fault it. The unit is a reasonable weight for it's size. It has strong metal casing, robust foot switches, a bright easy to read screen and easy access to all the controls. The layout of the knobs and switches is also well thought out as unlike other many other pedals, it is pretty much impossible to catch the knobs with your foot by accident as they are placed up at the top of the pedal. While the small buttons are positioned near the foot switches, they have been designed in a way so that you just can't hit them with your toes!

The power supply that is included also seems to be a good high quality wall wart which, unlike many 'supplied adapters', runs cool and silently.

[b]VALUE FOR MONEY: 8/10[/b]
While this is far from the most expensive delay pedal around it does sit in the 'expensive category' for an effects pedal. You get an awful lot for your money here too with more presets than any delay pedal I can think of with the exception of the Eventide Timefactor (which costs a truck-load more!) and you really do get fantastic studio quality audio.

I'm scoring the ND-1 an 8 here purely because it lacks the sound-on-sound looper that goes hand in hand with top spec delay pedals these days and is also missing midi functions. If the ND-1 could sync to a midi clock I honestly think it would be a market-dominating pedal - There's a hint for the ND-2 (nudge nudge, wink wink!).

If you are looking for a range of sounds from your delay and want something really geared up for live performance than you really can't go far wrong with the ND-1. Also worth noting that the iB Modified version is listed as a limited edition so its definitely worth picking one up while you can.

[b]CUSTOMER SUPPORT: 10/10[/b]
I have had no reason to contact TC Electronic in regards to this pedal, but I have had to regarding my NDY-1 Nova Dynamics pedal which developed an issue with its powering cycle. TC responded to my request within 24 hours giving me the details of two UK-based service centres. I contacted one of them, sent them the pedal and they sent back a fixed working unit (having requested, received and replaced a component from TC Head Office in Denmark) within a week. TC Electronic apologised in their email to me that I had an issue with a pedal from them.

In my experience they have been prompt in dealing with issues and very helpful. Fault free service.

[b]OVERALL: 9/10[/b]
The Nova Delay iB Modified is a great delay pedal. No doubt about it. It's been made with a range of musicians/instruments in mind and specifically remains the single best sounding digital/modelling delay pedal that I have tried with a bass. It comes with a host of features which rival most other well regarded systems and does it at a fairly competitive price.

I certainly can't imagine any bass or guitar player not being happy with the purchase and if you are a musician that has little/no need for midi sync capabilities I can imagine this being the last delay pedal you ever buy.

Shep

[i]- The TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay iB Modified with pride of place on my board:[/i]

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1355427794' post='1898397']
Looking forward to that review very interested in it.
Will you be doing the others in the range.

Alan
[/quote]

Alan,

Working on the Dynamics at the mo (though they have discontinued the damn thing!!). It's stunning on 2 of it's 3 settings and not so hot on the other... I'm trying to capture it's benefits and flaws as well as possible.

I am very keep to review the Modulator soon too. Hopefully in the new year!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1355438412' post='1898558']
Working on the Dynamics at the mo (though they have discontinued the damn thing!!). It's stunning on 2 of it's 3 settings and not so hot on the other... I'm trying to capture it's benefits and flaws as well as possible.

[/quote]

I've got a Nova Dynamics and was very surprised that they discontinued it, very good bit of kit (and versatile with the two 'engines') be good to read another's review of it.