Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day!

Grassie

So I've been looking for a cheap(ish) precision bass for a while now, as a back up and occasional gigger. I've looked at (mainly) Fenders and Squiers on the net, but always prefer to buy "in person" if possible. So today I went down to my local guitar emporium where I tried out a VM Squier P (white with black guard) which was very nice, for £259, and then this:

[attachment=107381:SX1.JPG]
[attachment=107382:SX2.JPG]
[attachment=107383:SX3.JPG]

SX Vintage Series Precision bass in 3TSB and a rather naff colour tort pickguard (that's going...). Lighter than the Squier but sounds great, gig bag included for £159 new! Pleased I am...:)
Thanks to Ian at Strings Guitar Centre Isle of Wight for sorting me out!

Always nice to get a new bass. I've owned SX gear before, and they're grand bits of kit, highly recommended. I've never seen a SX bass with a proper Fender styled headstock before. Unless of course you have a very early model? I know they had to change them because of a lawsuit from Fender. Somebody more experienced I'm sure will pipe in and give the full story.

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1336491674' post='1646380']
Always nice to get a new bass. I've owned SX gear before, and they're grand bits of kit, highly recommended. I've never seen a SX bass with a proper Fender styled headstock before. Unless of course you have a very early model? I know they had to change them because of a lawsuit from Fender. Somebody more experienced I'm sure will pipe in and give the full story.
[/quote]
If I'm going to buy a Fender copy, it has to have the correct (or very near) shaped headstock, don't know why, it just has. Can't be doing with pointy things (unless it's one of those Schecter Model-T's) Ian also had a very nice used Squier P-Bass Special with the J pick-up for the same price as the SX but I'm a purist (kind of) and it was P only or nothing for me. :D

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1336498378' post='1646507']
Nice score, that p/g looks fine in the photo.
[/quote]
It's brown tortoise shell but has a weird orange colour (almost flourescent) underneath the brown. I'll live with it for now, but will probably change it at some point.