Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Clarky

70s/80s copy of a well known and legally sensitive brand. Lovely mapleglo body. Benefits from full R*ck electronics (including VTC), R*ck bridge pickup and a Kent Armstrong toaster pickup plus an original R*ck TRC. Also has a Hipshot aluminium bridge, a huge improvement on the R*ck original but visually similar. Wearing the original tatty but beautifully worn-in TI Flats that Beedster had on it. Comes with Warwick Rockbag. The only 'issues' (which won't be an issue for everyone) are (1) the action will not go ultra-low - the bridge saddles are tight on the base plate and the action is distinctly medium (4mm on the E at the 12th fret) and (2) one of the scratchplate screw-holes is over the electronics cavity so does not have a screw in it (I originally superglued a screw into the 'vacant' screw hole for OCD neatness but it caused an annoying buzz when played acoustically so took it out again)

Basically, I bought this last month from Beedster in the midst of a bout of nostalgia (as a Rickenbacker 4001 was my first gigging bass in 'Phase 2' of my musical career, in my early 40s). Its not for me though as the slab body doesn't sit right with me and the ergonomics are just not as comfortable to me as a good ol' Precision.

Beedster assembled this with the help of Howard The Bass Doc. He put £750 into this but sold it to me for £600. I would like to get that back if possible.

Here is Beedster's FS thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173293-late-70searly-80s-gherson-copy-of-a-famous-brand-bass-for-sale-sold/page__p__1612508__hl__beedster%20gherson__fromsearch__1#entry1612508"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1612508[/url]

Carefully chosen pics to follow so that our friend Johnny Halliday doesn't go ballistic

Edited by Clarky

[attachment=107414:Movie on 2012-05-08 at 21.25.mov]

Utterly rubbish recording where I picked up the bass and couldn't think what to play ... and proceeded to play badly what I couldn't think of to play! Also I used a pick, even though I haven't played with a pick for a year. Rusty or what. But you get the picture!

Edit: OK, it doesn't work. Technology yet again defeats me. I have it on email if anyone's interested!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1336513693' post='1646903']

Edit: OK, it doesn't work. Technology yet again defeats me. I have it on email if anyone's interested!
[/quote]
It's a weird glitch that this forum software throws up, Clarky. I downloaded it and changed the extension to mp3 and it worked fine, though I've just noticed the original had a .mov extension so presumably that'd work as well :)

Cool, thats for that Musky. Next time I record something, I will actually (1) think about what I am going to play beforehand (2) not do so wearing my work shirt with dinner stains down the front (Thai beef salad, yum) and (3) reject it if the playing is totally sh*tty :D

Late night bump. Happy Jack played the bass yesterday and agreed that it would be fair to describe the action (4mm at 12th fret on E) as medium/high and one suited to those who like to "dig in" (rather than those who like light touch, super-slick necks). He also spotted that there's a bit of a belly cut-out at the rear which makes it a lot more comfortable than the pure slab body of an old 4001

[quote name='brabasam' timestamp='1336866946' post='1652212']
Where you based dude and would you consider a trade for a Ampeg 6x10 ?
[/quote]
Hi I am in London. Sorry I am far too ancient and creaky to be able to deal with a 6x10!

[quote name='Soloshchenko' timestamp='1336869933' post='1652223']
As a previous owner who had to sell as a project I can vouch for the build quality here. Twin truss rod, definitely 70s rather than 80s. Good luck with the sale, I wish I still had this.
[/quote]

Bit of work on the saddles and the action would come down easily, it's not a neck problem, it's just that being a neck through there is nothing you can do about the pretty much straight line from nut to saddles. To be honest, this height issue is one of the limitations of Hipshot bridges and is why I've reverted to Rick models, despite their less than ideal intonation options! Having said this, when this arrived from the Bass Doc I was pretty surprised at just how low the action was so it might be that a tweak or two of the rods would get this back to where Clarky and Jack with their evident preference for 'not a real man's action' would prefer :D

Worth mentioning that my reason for sale was genuine in that a rather nice v63 came my way at a price that really made it a no-brainer. I won't say that the Faker matches the v63, but it's certainly not far off (probably a similar difference in quality as you'd find between a Fender Custom Shop and a standard MIA as opposed to that between a Custom shop and a Squier/MIM). Where it does beat the v63 is the circuit (stereo and VTC), the neck (much smoother and much faster), the weight (!) and IME the appearance, which is a lovely old mojo'd patina.

Goes without saying that Clarky is a true gent and probably in an even better mood to deal with than normal following his recent victory in the London Mayoral Election :D

Thanks Chris! TBH, it's a ton nicer with the TI flats on and if it doesn't sell I won't be too upset as I am getting more used to the ergonomics (though it's still not as Clarky gut-fitting as a Precision!)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1337108127' post='1655686']
So Chris Squier and Geddy Lee in their prime were a bit leaner than me, is that what you're saying Beedster? :P

Fatty bump bump
[/quote]

Who said anything about in their prime?

Weight on digital scales 9.1 pounds

I don't like losing money on a bass (although it happens virtually every time) but I want to raise some dosh so how does £565 posted or £550 collected sound

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1337759688' post='1664886']
Try me with an offer. I have my eye on something else and want to raise some moolah towards it!

And for every £20 less than the £600 I paid him, Beedster owes me a pint :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Harsh mate, the fact that you're in a rush to sell ain't no reflection on me, the bass, and the great work Bass Doc did in putting it back together and setting it up. As I said, had a very competitively priced v63 not been wagged under my nose the Faker would have stayed with me, especially given the lovely retro tone that the TIs give it (a tone I can't get out of the v63 as it doesn't have the vintage tone circuit; in fact the circuit in the Faker is substantially better than the circuit in the v63). It just ain't a great time to sell, I lost almost £200 on it selling to you - original Ric parts don't come cheap. If you want your money back quickly I'd split it and sell the parts on eBay.
C