Why become a member? ×

Digitech Whammy... what's the point?

Silent Fly

I am a little bit confused...

Digitech Whammy £121
Digitech Expression Factory (EX-7) £100
Digitech RP350 £119

I understand that the Digitech Whammy can do a little bit more of the EX-7 and RP350 in terms of intervals but there is no comparison between the Whammy and the other two regarding the other functionalities.

RP350 is for guitar but if it works like the other Digitech multi-fx units, as far as the cab/amp models are switched off, it works great with bass. Apart from the Whammy included in the RP350 there are reverbs, modulations, delays…

The distortion functions of the EX-7 can be switched off leaving a pedal with Whammy + other 6 expression-pedal functions.

I am wondering… what’s the point on buying the Whammy when with the same money (or less) I can have much more? Am I missing something?

[quote name='Ant' post='178898' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:59 PM']tracking and tone varies from my experience.

the old wh1 whammy is king.[/quote]

Good point. I haven't tried the units so I can't really say if there is a difference in tracking or sound.

Having said that, the Whammy function of my Digitech GNX2 tracks really well and the tone is not bad either. The RP350 has a processor (Audio DNA2) that is 4 times more powerful of the processor used in the GNX2 so in theory it should track better.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='178888' date='Apr 17 2008, 02:50 PM']I am a little bit confused...

Digitech Whammy £121
Digitech Expression Factory (EX-7) £100
Digitech RP350 £119

I understand that the Digitech Whammy can do a little bit more of the EX-7 and RP350 in terms of intervals but there is no comparison between the Whammy and the other two regarding the other functionalities.

RP350 is for guitar but if it works like the other Digitech multi-fx units, as far as the cab/amp models are switched off, it works great with bass. Apart from the Whammy included in the RP350 there are reverbs, modulations, delays…

The distortion functions of the EX-7 can be switched off leaving a pedal with Whammy + other 6 expression-pedal functions.

I am wondering… what’s the point on buying the Whammy when with the same money (or less) I can have much more? Am I missing something?[/quote]

The Whammy has about 20 Pitch shifting and Harmony functions?

The EX-7 only has the 2 octave sweep mode IIRC, and the RP350 surely won't have all the features of the Whammy either. Not to mention it's probably more sturdy than the RP350 too.

Edit: Just thought I would say, I've owned the WH-4, I tried the EX-7 in the shop, and I currently own a WH-1, which as Ant says, is indeed King.

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='179042' date='Apr 17 2008, 05:16 PM'](...)
Edit: Just thought I would say, I've owned the WH-4, I tried the EX-7 in the shop, and I currently own a WH-1, which as Ant says, is indeed King.[/quote]

Interesting... did you notice any difference from the sound and tracking viewpoint between WH-4 and EX-7?

I really didn't like the EX-7 - It didn't seem to track too badly, but A) I tried it with guitar, and B ) the feel of the treadle under your foot really wasn't the best. The WH-4 [i]feels[/i] better, but the sweep range is really limited. The WH-1 has the largest sweep range of the lot, tracks superbly, and ultimately, just sounds a bit warmer and less cold and digital (despite being a digital pedal itself).

If you're after a Whammy, and want the best performance from it, I really would recommend saving up the pennies for an original. It's soooo much smaller than the re-issue too. My face actually did this the first time I saw one in real life: :)

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='cheddatom' post='179610' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:19 AM']I haven't been able to try a WH-1, have you tried an XP-100 Higgie? I think it has a nice long sweep range and a much nicer tone than the WH-4.[/quote]

I havent tried it, and I have heard good things about it. It also has the 5th^/Oct^ setting, for those who don't want to shell out for the Bass Whammy. But I;ve heard stories of the Bass overdriving the unit, as it has an input gain knob that can be very fiddly to tweak. I wanted no nonsense operation so I sprang for the WH-1. Just plug in, choose your setting, and sweep away :)

[quote name='Higgie' post='179631' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:49 AM']I havent tried it, and I have heard good things about it. It also has the 5th^/Oct^ setting, for those who don't want to shell out for the Bass Whammy. But I;ve heard stories of the Bass overdriving the unit, as it has an input gain knob that can be very fiddly to tweak. I wanted no nonsense operation so I sprang for the WH-1. Just plug in, choose your setting, and sweep away :)[/quote]

Yeh, the gain pot is a bitch to get right!