Why become a member? ×

Hipshot detuner for Sterling by Music Man SB14?

Paul S

Rapid question.

I have just acquired a Sterling by Music Man SB14 which has been immediately promoted to 'Best and Favourite Bass'. I want to fit a Hipshot detuner to it. The stuff I have seen on the internet says BT1 is the one to use for Music Man basses. I asked an eBay seller which model and he said BT1, but just to be sure he sent me a link to a pdf file that had a diagram with measurements.... [url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/hbtuners.pdf"]http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/hbtuners.pdf[/url] ... which don't match up (should be the first one, apparently.)

I don't suppose anyone has actually fitted one and can say for sure that it fits? Or has the BT1 fitted to a Singray or whatever that can throw a few metric measurements in my direction?

Grazie mille.

I am away tomorrow for a week, so hopefully this thread will be filled with useful replies by the time I get back. Most likely on page 9...

It 'should' be the BT1 I've just ordered one from Beat Bass Gear in the USA for £30 delivered !!!
Even with tax and duty if I'm unlucky it will cost me £45 tops ... have a look

[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-detuner-extenders.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-detuner-extenders.htm[/url]

Cheers,
Ade

Good price - and free shipping, too. I was going to use one of the eBay sellers from the US - bought a Hipshot detuner from the US before and it sneaked in through the back door somehow.

Is that also for an SB14? My concern is that it is based on the Sterling which I think has a smaller headstock than the Stingray.

The BT-1 is the one that fits directly onto MusicMan Stingray and SUB basses.
However, I am not sure whether the Sterling By MusicMan use the very same tuners.
For instance the OLP basses use very similar tuners, but the screw positions are slightly off, so when fitting a BT1 on an OLP you need to make new holes. Not a big deal, but you have to be careful and it adds a few minutes to the installation.

I would go for it regardless. It really is not a big deal if the holes don't match up.

Get one from Best Bass Gear too, my BT7 just arrived in a week for under £30 delivered and NO duty or tax to pay !
Even used ones often sell for around £45 so its a no brainer !

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. Mine arrived and it isn't a perfect fit. The holes don't line up, which isn't necessarily an issue, but the backing plates overlap, which is an issue! Oh well, I will stick it up for sale!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1339145752' post='1684222']
Sorry, BT1 didn't fit. Which is the one listed for MM basses.
[/quote]

yes, that's why I was interested. I used a BT1 in my Stingray and SUB (fits), and on my OLP (holes did not align but I could fit it). The poster above says he used a BT7 on the Sterling by MusicMan (fitting ok), not a BT1. I wonder if the BT7 fits the OLPs directly...

Hopefully Bowks will read this and flesh out the bones a bit. Was it an inspired guess on his part, I wonder, or was there some hidden logic? Be nice to fit one without having to get out metworking tools. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update. I sold on the BT1 and the new owner informs me it doesn't work due a manufacturing fault on the gearing.

I contacted Best Bass gear, explaining that

a/ BT1 doesn't fit all Musicman basses as is implied on their website.
b/ Item they sent was faulty.

That was on 13th June and they haven't even acknowledged the email, let alone suggested some form of redress.

So - buy from Best bass Gear if you are confident you are going to get exactly what you want, and that it is going to be a proper one. They are happy enough to take our money but not, it seems, any of the associated responsibility. I can't be bothered to waste angst and emotion on a transatlantic fight, so will just write off the cost of the BT1.

With the inevitable out-of-sync timing, Best Bass gear have proved me wrong with an email this afternoon :) They didn't get the first email and have apologised profusely, offering to put things right immediately.

• 1 month later...

Final update on this - Best Bass Gear sent me a replacement foc once it was back in stock, marked value was $1 so as to slip through the duty net. BT7 is a straight fit for the Sterling size headstock. Sorted!!