Why become a member? ×

Gone

wombatboter

I always thought this was one of the best looking basses ever but there is one flaw which "bothers" me..:-)
This bass has such a huge (and beautiful) headstock so I can't understand why they put all of the tuners so closely together while you have all the space in the world..
It doesn't minimalize the value or the beauty of this instrument but they could have spread it a bit more...

Very nice bass!
Tuners will need to be this close together to allow the strings to be pulled in as much a straight line as possible. You can make the headstock as big as you like, but if you have tuners on each end, they will need to follow the taper of the neck, and it'll mean they are close together. They would be further apart if the nut would be wider, but that's not to everyones taste.
For an appaling (IMHO) example of tuners too far apart and strings being pulled in weird angles: http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/54184.html?1323560356
(I'll put on my asbestos suit now, after all it IS an Alembic :yarr: )

[quote name='chrisbass13' timestamp='1336595784' post='1648258']
hey thanks for your answer. 7mm? that would be rather tight ;-) maybe you mean 17?
[/quote]

Think I got it wrong, sorry.. like I said : I know a bit how to play a bass but have never been interested in the specs of basses, they just feel comfortable to me or they don't :-)
I started measuring the space between the strings near the nut and I came up with 7mm..but I guess that's not what you wanted to know.
If I'm still mistaken, correct me.. always ready to learn :-)

Thanks for the compliment but rarely get impressed by what I'm doing myself..
In fact selling this bass is part of a bigger sell-out which I have been doing the last years..
I used to own 29 basses but I found that all those great ambitions with certain instruments turned out to be a dead-end street in the present climate..
Never has the musical perspective for bassplayers been so little stimulating to own a wide spectrum of basses when in the end you seem to need only a plain bass which does every job..
Why own fantastic five-strings capable of alternative tuning with d-tuners or have fancy fretlesses when in the end I end up doing gigs where I have to play root-fifth basslines...Not that there's anything wrong with that but the climate has changed and it depresses me as a bass-player...
Seems like I can only be creative anymore in my livingroom but as a free-lance bassplayer it's not that obvious anymore to do that on stage anymore.. Playing fretless live for instance doesn't seem to exist anymore, things have become so conservative..
Sorry for the off-topic but wanted to have that off my chest..

I can see where you are coming from... I sometimes play a lot, and as you know, i own and go through quite a few high end bass...

I did a gig the other day, guy calls me... " btw man for the gig, really, you got a Pbass with flats???"

I do have one... a £100 bass..... ended up taking it to the gig and the guy was super happy with the sound and look etc...

made me wonder.... :)