Why become a member? ×

How to learn tabs

isteen

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1336239224' post='1643023'] I personally think tab is utter sh*te, and kids stuff. It will make you a less consummate musician, you will find playing with other musicians harder, your theoretical understanding of the music will not be as good and you will be less employable. But if none of that matters, then the worst people will do is get on a huff about it on the internet.
[/quote]

Unless you're planning on reading I fail to see how being able to read has any effect on playing with other musicians, theory is something you should know anyway, not something that reading forces you to learn.

Reading for you might have changed your life but for me it's almost useless, I have no interest in playing DB or playing in orchestras, jazz, musicals etc, if I hadn't learnt in school I certainly wouldn't bother now & I'd still be just as busy as I am now.

As you said, different strokes for different folks.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1336239224' post='1643023']
I personally think tab is utter sh*te, and kids stuff.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Edited by MrTaff

FWIW I think that there is a place for tab, despite it having no professional applications. I play a little classical guitar around the house and have a small repertoire of old English lute pieces and can even shakily play something just about recognisable as ‘Mood For A Day’! There is no way that I could have done that with my meagre (notation) reading skills & limited classical guitar technique if I hadn’t have had access to decent transcriptions in tab!

The main problem with tab is not that there are lots of poorly transcribed ones on the net, but that the many good ones that are available, along with a plethora of ‘Lick Library’ type video lessons, allow you to play exactly like your heroes without you having to figure it all out for yourself, which is how most of the old school guys developed their ear…..

Reading music will open up certain types of opportunities, especially if you want to play in an orchestra pit (that so happily changed Hector’s life), if you’re going to audition for Beyonce’s backing band or if you want to play the type of sessions that Bilbo was talking about. That is all great, but you can spend a lifetime playing in top quality bands without being able to read. In fact, it would probably be better for your music career to have good harmony BVs or the right haircut!

Bilbo asked before if it was a coincidence that if the musicians that I know who could read got the best pro gigs. Actually, by far the most successful of my mates would quite cheerfully admit to being a pretty modest musician and certainly can’t read music at all. However, he looks like a star, can sing, is a nice guy who networks well and has a certain amount of charisma (always the life & soul of the party)! He plays keyboards and rhythm guitar in a couple of alt rock bands (and works as a freelance guitar tech when they are not on the road) and is the one who is currently in France halfway thru a two month tour and who was posting pictures on Facebook of himself on a beach in Australia when we were all freezing in the snow a few months ago…!!

Edited by peteb

My reference to Sheehan et al being in small ponds referred to the fact that, great as some of these guys are, their scope, musically, is pretty narrow. I have heard Sheehan do what he does and, impressive as it is, its a specific niche. If players want to be 'that guy' then its sh*t or bust whereas a more rounded musician has more irons in the fire and will improve thier chances of lucking out.

There are plenty of factors that contribute to ones potential for success and most of them are outside of anyone's control (I stand in front of the mirror every day saying 'Johnny Depp, Johnny Depp, Johnny Depp' but I still look more like Rolf Harris) but reading isn't. Its there for all and free. Its just a great way of getting inside of lots of great music. I can't advocate it enough. I actually don't give a rat's whether anyone takes up my suggestion but, for me, its really been worth the effort.