Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

G&L Tribute L2500

TRBboy

Very tempted to get one of these at the moment, but I'm unable to try it first. I've played the 4 string before, and felt the neck was a bit chunky, but I've never played a 5.

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion about these, and if anyone can tell me about the neck or compare it to anything else?

Thanks.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1335802240' post='1636239']
They're excellent. I've had a four and five string and regret selling both!

The necks on the four strings are chunky. The five string is, I think, narrower spacing and felt similar to a five string stingray to me.
[/quote]

Interesting.... I don't have a problem with wide fretboards, but I'm quite interested in what the depth is like front to back, and whether the neck profile flattens out a bit in the middle or is quite round.

I think the necks are the same width hence the 5 string feels narrow compared to the 4. Can anyone confirm this?

The neck on my 4 string is wide, but not too deep. It's very comfortable but I find I can adapt to wide P necks or J width quite easily.

Anyway, they are stunning basses at an amazing price, especially used.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1335905654' post='1637964']
I think the necks are the same width hence the 5 string feels narrow compared to the 4. Can anyone confirm this?

The neck on my 4 string is wide, but not too deep. It's very comfortable but I find I can adapt to wide P necks or J width quite easily.

Anyway, they are stunning basses at an amazing price, especially used.

Frank.
[/quote]

Thanks Frank, that's very helpful. Are you saying then that you feel that P necks feel chunkier than the G&L?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335908222' post='1638017']
Thanks Frank, that's very helpful. Are you saying then that you feel that P necks feel chunkier than the G&L?
[/quote]

No, not really. The neck on my L2000 Tribute isn't too deep but is wider than my P bass by about 2mm. It still feels very playable to me.

What I meant was, I can adapt to any neck so J or P or G&L, I can play them all comfortably. It seems a lot of players prefer a J neck and hate a P neck or vice versa. For me, it doesn't matter that much.

(Strangely, and I've never heard anyone else say this, I have more problems with the right hand ergonomics. I find the P bass PU sometimes gets in the way and I find myself moving the right hand to unnatural feeling positions on a P bass. This doesn't seem to happen on a J or G&L L2000. It's not a massive prolem though on any bass.)

Frank.

Sound wise, I love the G&L. The sound is just so ballsy, but you have to learn how to tweak the tone controls and even the volume, to get a more mellow tone It's all ther once you learn how to find it. They are just great all round bass guitars.

frank.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335786719' post='1635919']
Very tempted to get one of these at the moment, but I'm unable to try it first. I've played the 4 string before, and felt the neck was a bit chunky, but I've never played a 5.

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion about these, and if anyone can tell me about the neck or compare it to anything else?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I had one, great basses... but if you found the L2000 chunky... I doubt you'd like the L2500. It has a pretty hefty profile. I personally liked it, but it is quite substantial.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1335802240' post='1636239']
They're excellent. I've had a four and five string and regret selling both!

The necks on the four strings are chunky. The five string is, I think, narrower spacing and felt similar to a five string stingray to me.
[/quote]

I had simultaneously a MM SUB5, which I believe has the same neck dimensions as an SR5, and the Tribute L2500. The L2500 was considerably bigger. It's probably about the same width as the SR5, perhaps a bit more but not much, however it is a lot deeper.

The US basses come in two different neck sizes, but the Tribute series are all the same, and pretty chunky.