Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix Freeze - SOLD

Silent Fly

[quote name='topo morto' timestamp='1335732694' post='1635247']
These are great on bass...would definitely use it if you could vary the dry mix (or turn off the dry signal)...

wouldn't fancy quickly modding it before sending it out, would you? :)
[/quote]

Modding the Freeze is not as easy as it looks. It is digital and SMD.

It might sound a little bit of a silly answer but... instead of turning off the dry signal, couldn’t just stop playing or turn down the bass volume? ;)

If you need more info or advice/ideas on how to use it please feel free to send me an [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/images/contact.gif"]email[/url].

[quote name='Silent Fly' timestamp='1335770738' post='1635549']
instead of turning off the dry signal, couldn’t just stop playing or turn down the bass volume? ;)

[/quote]

I wondered this, I'm intrigued, what would've benefits of that mod be?

What the freeze does is capture a moment of sound, and then loop it round - but it does so in a very cool way - I think it must have different length cross-faded loops for different frequency bands or something, so you get a smooth organic sound. It really is very nifty - great with chords too.

When you engage the freeze, it captures that sound and then fades it in with a fairly fast attack.... effectively like having a synth note with the timbre of that moment of sound. But of course before that, you would have still heard the normal attack of the bass note(s) being played..

Being able to kill the dry would be cool because you could have just the freeze sound, with no 'pluck' at all - you would 'set' the note/chord with your bass, and then engage the freeze when you wanted the sound to start.

Silent Fly is reputed to be some kind of evil genius so I thought I'd ask! :)

Still slightlly tempted by this anyway.... someone grab it, they are awesome!

Edited by topo morto

Yeah I have one, what I do to get the effect your on about is place the freeze after my boss ps6, and use the dive bomb kind of effect to release a note from the 2 octaves down to rise into the note I want to come from the freeze, so each transition has a kind of 'tape winding up' sound into each note, rather than having an attack at the start... If you get what I mean...

A decent mod in my opinion would be to control the wet/dry mix with an expression pedal.