Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass bridge/pickup covers

jackhammer

I modified my fretless VM with various bits & pieces including the neck pickup cover from my '75RI so I'm guessing they both should if you have the stock bridge in place. (I swapped the stock bridge for a Gotoh 203B which is a bit beefier)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2011/post-14473-1305712544.jpg"]http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2011/post-14473-1305712544.jpg[/url]

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1335487140' post='1632200']
Both looking awesome! Where did you get your pickguard for the jazz??
[/quote]

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335510166' post='1632264']
Mate that's stunning!
I do think my '75RI will soon be wearing a tort guard! :D
[/quote]

Sorry to be so late in responding, but I'm in a totally different time zone than you guys.

I had obtained a Fender Gearhead part number: [b]0992157000[/b], which is a [b]10-hole[/b] PG without the predrilled tug bar holes and the extra support hole just above the neck p'up. That's the hole that was there for in the days when nitrocellulose pickguards would buckle and warp and generally bubble-up at that point. For nostalgia purpose, I used that hole too even if I wasn't going to go full nitrocellulose and it wouldn't have that problem.

The [b]0992157000 [/b]PG was already exhibiting that nitrocellulose 'creep' when I bought it, and although I drooled over using it, it seemed to be risky to install, as it wasn't dimensionally stable, if you understand me here. I love the smell of real nitrocellulose material though.

BTW: both are 4-ply, white/black/white/tort.

So the PG I ultimately used ([b]0992022000[/b]) - had all the original [b]13-holes[/b].

This is the bass, stock:::

The actual instllation is easy with that one 'VEE' intersection. Just trim it slowly and carefully and all'll be fine.

The screws aren't gonna align, so there's that to consider too. The other thing is adding the black knobs, and I also put a Push-Pull series/parallel pot in the tone position so I can switch the pickup wiring.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1335537989' post='1632862']
Wow, thanks for taking the time to reply like that! Really really helpful, do you think if I simply moved the control plate down slightly instead of cutting the pickguard it would be easier?
[/quote]

I prepared that whole album a while ago to chronicle the installation - so I have it on recall via Picasa.

But - the length isn't the whole problem - at least where one verses the other, since the angle of the VEE and the acuity/sharpness of it on the Squier as compared to the Fender version, is obviously different.

One COULD conceivably just change out the control panel too, now that I think of it.

A real Fender-geek can spot a change like that from the 20th row of the audience (JK) - but there will be an angularity that will show as you try to fit one to the other.

A real Fender-Geek can also spot the different screws in the PG too - as the Fender screws have an ever-so-slightly-different head to them compared to the MII or MIC or even the MIJ versions.

Japan and all the other 'Oriental' countries use the JIS-Industrial standard for threads, pitch and head design. The Euro versions either use SAE (Society of American Engineer's) standards or the German standards, which if memory serves me - is either DIS or some other amalgam of letters that I can't remember at the moment.

The US uses the SAE or ASME elements in design. There may be some other standards to which I am not privy - it won't surprise me.

I digress.

The interchangeability factor of Squier to Fender and vice-versa is rife with sometimes miniscule and sometimes gross deviations in size, shape or design. The PGs are one outstanding case for that happenstance.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

My vintage modified jazz bass. As circle of fifths pointed out, the pickguard was the only thing that needed slightly modifying on the bit that joins up with the control plate.

Mine is the VM '77 jazz which came with pearl blocks and white binding on the neck so I swapped the neck over with Dave (Nibody) on here for his one from his VM which has the black blocks and binding as I'm a huge Geddy Lee fan (but I prefer my blue pickguard)

Then I added the official Fender pickup and bridge covers and they work a treat. I'm a "metal" bass player but I like using my Jazz bass for softer / less rock things that I play. Other things I changed were the neck plate as I fitted an official Fender "F" stamped one, Schaller strap locks, Graphtech PT1214 black tusq top nut, copper shielding on all cavities and skirted jazz bass knobs instead of the strat style ones it came with and a black plastic thumb rest. Currently strung with D'Addario chrome flatwounds 45-100 gauge.

So here she is:

Bass: £275 from Music Center, Bedford
Schaller strap locks: Freebie thrown in as I always buy stuff from there
Pickguard: £3 off ebay
Pickup and bridge covers: £15 altogether from 2 users on here
Neck: swapped with Nibody
Fender neck plate (F stamped official one): £5 from ebay
Copper shielding for all cavities: £3 for the whole roll, enough to do 4/5 basses with
Skirted jazz knobs: £6 off ebay
Black thumb rest: £4 off ebay
D'Addario chrome flatwounds: Free off here (thanks guys!)
Graphtech PT1214 black tusq top nut: £7 from strings and things

Total: £318 and it's my go to bass for everything at the moment.

By the way, yours is an absolute stunner CoF! I love the tort pickguard on it. Contrasts really well on the natural body.

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1335610846' post='1633673']
My vintage modified jazz bass. As circle of fifths pointed out, the pickguard was the only thing that needed slightly modifying on the bit that joins up with the control plate.

Mine is the VM '77 jazz which came with pearl blocks and white binding on the neck so I swapped the neck over with Dave (Nibody) on here for his one from his VM which has the black blocks and binding as I'm a huge Geddy Lee fan (but I prefer my blue pickguard)

Then I added the official Fender pickup and bridge covers and they work a treat. I'm a "metal" bass player but I like using my Jazz bass for softer / less rock things that I play. Other things I changed were the neck plate as I fitted an official Fender "F" stamped one, Schaller strap locks, Graphtech PT1214 black tusq top nut, copper shielding on all cavities and skirted jazz bass knobs instead of the strat style ones it came with and a black plastic thumb rest. Currently strung with D'Addario chrome flatwounds 45-100 gauge.

Bass: £275 from Music Center, Bedford
Schaller strap locks: Freebie thrown in as I always buy stuff from there
Pickguard: £3 off ebay
Pickup and bridge covers: £15 altogether from 2 users on here
Neck: swapped with Nibody
Fender neck plate (F stamped official one): £5 from ebay
Copper shielding for all cavities: £3 for the whole roll, enough to do 4/5 basses with
Skirted jazz knobs: £6 off ebay
Black thumb rest: £4 off ebay
D'Addario chrome flatwounds: Free off here (thanks guys!)
Graphtech PT1214 black tusq top nut: £7 from strings and things

Total: £318 and it's my go to bass for everything at the moment.

By the way, yours is an absolute stunner CoF! I love the tort pickguard on it. Contrasts really well on the natural body.
[/quote]

Thank-you. I like the pearl PG on yours, and I have another bass I am really considering getting a pearl version in white. I also have a very warm spot for tort on black too.

Wow - you sure get a good deal on pickguards over there.