Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pre amps n spares

ceilidhswinger

Posted this earler in repair/tech forum but got no replies so here goes!

Amp I'm using is a GK mb150s

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi I'm currently using a KK Dual Channel pro st pre-amp running an Underwood and a Fishman through pre-amp. but to be honest, I don't think it makes much of a difference sound or volume wise! and I sometimes just run from pick ups straight to amp and to my mind, its no better or worse. I have an old LR Baggs gig-pro that needs a treble pot replaced so might try that if I can source 25k pots, So what do you think guys, is the KK any use with my pick ups or should I get LR Baggs fixed and if so where? how? anyone got spares?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Calum[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only thing I have noticed is that when pre-amp engaged, I get a bit more brightness but that could be down to inside pre amp settings! [/font][/color]

[size=3]Underwood AND fishman? Why not I suppose.[/size]
[size=3]Anyway, K+K is ok, but fiddly. I found LR Baggs just sounded a bit nicer on my bass, though maybe it was just the fabrication of the pre-amp, much nicer design. Could affect psychology quite a lot. I have the MixPro, and though i only used it for a while I loved the sound it gave, nicer, more transparent than K+K. I used to mix Bassmax and a neck clicky with it.[/size]

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1335453345' post='1631462']
[size=3]Anyway, K+K is ok, but fiddly. I found LR Baggs just sounded a bit nicer on my bass, though maybe it was just the fabrication of the pre-amp, much nicer design. Could affect psychology quite a lot. I have the MixPro, and though i only used it for a while I loved the sound it gave, nicer, more transparent than K+K. I used to mix Bassmax and a neck clicky with it.[/size]
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Paul, wow you've got some nice gear there! Yeah I always used Fishman, gave me quite a big full sound except on G string for some reason, always sounded a bit choked? then acquired the UNDERWOOD and G sounds good so thought I would blend, still experimenting though! I need to get some spares for LR Baggs it does look a better unit and gets a good name.

I'll check out your band Paul, quite partial to a bit Jump Jive!. meanwhile check out my swing band Havana Swing below
http://youtu.be/_sbRAXmC_W8

Calum

Nice playing and singing...impressive!

I've never found blending different pickups makes much difference through an amp live (but recording on separate channels can be useful). I had an LR Baggs Para- DI for a while and I thought it was great (with just either a an old Fishman BP100 or Realist). Usually ran it into the effects return of the GK combo to avoid the GK preamp/eq. It was really designed for acoustic guitars/mandos so it had a built in filter below about 80Hz to reduce the boom/thump that piezo pickups can produce. I think it also helped when DI'ing into bigger PA systems, as there was less subby/low frequency in the DI output.

Which Fishman are you using? My old BP100 was superglued in place, and it really improved the sound. Often they work better fitted to the underside of the bridge, as it is usually flatter than the top. The luthier that fitted mine moved it about a bit to find the most even sound, drew round it in pencil, then stuck it down forever. Still sound the same about 15 years later.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1335459246' post='1631599']
Nice playing and singing...impressive!

I've never found blending different pickups makes much difference through an amp live (but recording on separate channels can be useful). I had an LR Baggs Para- DI for a while and I thought it was great (with just either a an old Fishman BP100 or Realist). Usually ran it into the effects return of the GK combo to avoid the GK preamp/eq. It was really designed for acoustic guitars/mandos so it had a built in filter below about 80Hz to reduce the boom/thump that piezo pickups can produce. I think it also helped when DI'ing into bigger PA systems, as there was less subby/low frequency in the DI output.

Which Fishman are you using? My old BP100 was superglued in place, and it really improved the sound. Often they work better fitted to the underside of the bridge, as it is usually flatter than the top. The luthier that fitted mine moved it about a bit to find the most even sound, drew round it in pencil, then stuck it down forever. Still sound the same about 15 years later.
[/quote]

Thanks BassBod,

Glad you like, check out our CD on Spotify. I'm using BP100 which as I said I really like apart from slightly choked G. Thats why I hooked up another pup. I was given the LR Baggs from my guitarist who plays mando in a folky band, might try and get it up and running and take your advice re effects return of the GK combo to avoid the GK preamp/eq.. I often thought about glueing it down but didn't have the balls, we will see. Thanks for getting back to me.

All the best
Calum

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1335515069' post='1632340']
Who said 'It's impossible to sing and play the bass'?. Nice stuff, Callum, haven't heard Little Girl for ages. Four basses, eh? I'll have to go to the shops.

Keep swinging.
[/quote]

Ha ha! Thanks bassace! Little Girl is a nice number isn't it? 4 DB's, yeah, the wife goes nuts everytime I bring one home.

All the best mate!
Calum

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1335453345' post='1631462']
[/quote]

Had a listen to Jump 66, great sound! loved "at the party and walk right in" sax sounds like Sam Butera great! Nine below zero groove? well done!

Calum