Why become a member? ×

swr cabs...talk to me

clashcityrocker

[size=5][sub]The older series were excellent, IMO..and set the bar at the time.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]The Goliath series was very good and the series ll my favourite.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]It was pretty clean and plus it produced tight thunderous lows.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]The only drawback, IMO was its weight and today people don't like to handle an 80lb or so cab[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]You will struggle to get replacement PAS speakers as the cone kits are not available here.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]There are a few companies in the states that claim they can supply them but..???[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]If I can find a Goliath snr 610 at a dcent price, I would be interested... once I have worked out how to carry it for the few gigs I have that would justify it [/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]I am less of a fan of their more modern cabs and budgets lines[/sub][/size]

Had a Goliath III 4x10 for a short while. SOunded great on it's own but just didn't gel nicely with the band. I think it was a bit "polite" in the mids for my tastes. Dominated in the low frequecies without cutting through somehow. Oh, plenty of brightness also. Anyone who slaps would love it.
I like Schroeder cabs if that gives any clues as to what I want from a cab (punchy, dominating , grunty mids with present, but not overly excessive, lows), which is a million miles from what the SWR cab was up to.

Oh, the SWR also weighed only slightly less than my car.

I can see why people might not like them up close, but when we threw a cheap limted recording set-up at the band...the Goliaths came out very well.
On balance, I probably prefered the control with SWR 115 and 210.

The point now being that the price you can pick up a Goliath ll/lll makes these pretty much UNBEATABLE bang for buck imo.

As heavy as most older 410's..but that it itself never worried me at the time..it was more about how to fit one in the car.
I do the same thing now sound-wise but with 2x210's for my number 1 rig altho not SWR as it happens.

I only ask as there is a Workingman 8x10 on eBay for less than I was gunna pay for a hydrive 410 new,obviously massive and stupid but I'm on a budget and an 8x10 with my hartke lh1000 should see me for life(!) It's got eminence speakers fitted so may mess the sound but its a hell of a lot lighter than most 810s. Tell me I shouldnt! Si

1. Easier to move about than a 4x10.
2. You ears can hear what you're playing and not just your knees.
3. Takes up less floor space than your average combo.
4. If you find it's not for you, sell it again at hopefully what you paid for it, or,
5. You could saw it in half and make two 4x10s but see 1.

I love my 8x10, not quite as good as four 4x12s but that's another story.

P.S.

It sure looks cool!!!

P.P.S.

Almost forgot, an 8x10 sounds fantastic, superb, brilliant, great, etc., everything you could ever want in a bass cab.

P.P.P.S.

Only my opinion of course.

Edited by bertbass

The older SWR cabs and maybe not the Workingmans which was a cheaper line, used PAS chassis' which were rumoured to be rebadged Celestions.
When SWR went through its buy-outs, they introduced other ranges and maybe went to Eminence so maybe they are the original
speakers. IF this is so, then the cab stands a pretty good chance of being quite decent and worth looking at.

I would expect this cab to produce a less 'direct' sound that the Goliath series as SWR themselves sugest they designed it as a softer pillowey cab.
I would think this cab would fill the stage with a big sound and the tweeter would add the zing but maybe it wouldn't be do what a Pro series would.
You may like this change of tack..but that wasn't the original SWR cab sound,

You are looking at a 800watt 8x10 enclosure ala Ampeg ..but with a tweeter.
Could be a lot of cab for the money

LH 1000 and an 8x10? Good luck getting the volume past 1 :crazy:
The speakers in the workingmans were "custom-specified swr drivers" or as I see it built offsite. Not the worst cabs in the world by a long way.

Edit: 'cause me no spell goood.

Edited by Mog