Why become a member? ×

Low 'E' String Tension Question...

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334827646' post='1621814']
Found this in '101 Bass Tips' by Gary Willis...

'A fairly easy way to add tension to the lower strings (B and E) is with a PC board spacer. Slip it over the string before you insert the string through the bridge...'
[/quote]

Except as others have said it won't change the tension of the string. It may have some impact on how stiff the string feels (compliance) although in the example pictured the fact that the witness point of the string has moved in respect to the tapered windings may well have had more impact on the feel.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334832350' post='1621952']
Except as others have said it won't change the tension of the string. It may have some impact on how stiff the string feels (compliance) although in the example pictured the fact that the witness point of the string has moved in respect to the tapered windings may well have had more impact on the feel.
[/quote]

Yes, as you pointed out, 'tension' is probably the wrong word. I did try this trick yesterday with a stack of steel nuts and it certainly did make a positive difference to the compliance, but they were too big and hampered access to the E string intonation screw. I may try it again if I can get hold of a PC board spacer, but the problem is vastly reduced now anyway.