Why become a member? ×

Ibanez rd 707 in bits

vax2002

car boot, hmm whats this I see in a bag , £10 :) , everything is present just needs re-painting and putting together, was pink, then blue.
Attacked the body with a sander tonight, bleached the top to loosen the paint dye and will sand again tommorow and put some pics on.
Has to be a bargain.

But what colour should it be, natural wood, or prime and finish it.
The pink is out of the question, the blue it had on was a bad spray can job.
Blood red springs to mind.

Any ideas for a colour.

Yeah, it certainly needs a loud colour, thy were loud 80's basses, well not in sound, they sound quite thin, but looks wise.
They have a neck to die for, just need to get it sorted now and find some nitro-lacker paint, the acrylics car shops sell are too thick from the tin.

first attack of the sander and the back to wood option is out as the blue pigment has stained its way in, so a coat of high build putty, which gets sanded off with 600 wet and dry and two more coats the same until it is like glass then I will hit it with nitro cellulose blood red, 2 coats, wet and dry and two more and a 3 stage buffing.

The bass will live again, it has spent 10 years in a rucksack in bits.
Looking through the hardware, one saddle is broken, probably why it was taken to bits, my spares kit found a silver one from an old bass that identical, so thats a start.
Rod had the thread stripped in the neck, so straight out and a bit of thread file and the nut now turns, first turn and the neck is flat as a pancake, Ibanez really knew how to make strong necks
Lets see what I can get from a £10 bag of bits bass and a few spare hours of sander and paint madness

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1334567252' post='1617565']
Yeah, it certainly needs a loud colour, thy were loud 80's basses, well not in sound, they sound quite thin, but looks wise.
They have a neck to die for, just need to get it sorted now and find some nitro-lacker paint, the acrylics car shops sell are too thick from the tin.
[/quote]

I think the Alsa stuff has been used for basses in the past, almost certain it's what was used on Dood's Shukers actually...

2 more high builds and wet and dry have lost 99% of imperfections, so on with 2 coats of top and wet and dry again and 2 more top coat which will get 1200 then buffed.
Stating to look like a bass.

Home made jig out of a vice and typist chair

Edited by vax2002