Why become a member? ×

Hipshots for Gibsons

Von Death

[color=#5a5a5a][font=Helvetica][size=3]Just bought a Black Hipshot Supertone off Guitar Parts Resource (USA) for my Gibson Blackbird....

Only £66 plus postage! What a difference...... I bought this bass about 5 years ago due to a (ongoing) John Entwistle appreciation thing! I liked the Blackbird variant as it suited my grim disposition. I modified it, put two volume controls (one for each pickup) kept the on/off switch. Got it refinished.....

But still I didn’t really like it that much...... I was thinking about selling but I figured the market wasn’t particularly good at the moment....

So after reading reviews on this site I decided to take the plunge.....

Piece of piss to fit.... You will not need any assistance. I am an idiot and I managed!

What a bloody difference..... I could go on about sustain and tone, but that’s a personal thing..... The thing no one has mentioned is how the bridge and the saddles make the strings sit so much better. As I play with my fingers this has made a big difference.

I cannot recommend this bridge highly enough to Gibson fiend![/size][/font][/color]

Agreed, the Supertone is a vast improvement over the 2 and 3 point bridges. Like you I'll refrain from making any comment about sound (I don't think it made much difference to my RD Artist's tone if I'm perfectly honest), but what a difference in terms of functionality and all round sturdiness.

Watch out for the gotcha though - some Gibsons (like my RD) use the same size insert for the front post of the 3 point bridge as the two side ones instead of a smaller one. The Supertone assumes this thinner/smaller insert, and you have to grind out the recess in the bridge base so it fits. No biggie - 10 minute job with a Dremel, but just thought people should be aware that it's not always an instant, easy improvement. Every other one I've done (2 Epiphones) has gone on without issue.