Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MXR Phase 100 V 90 Model V Alternatives

BH12neil

Ok, so I am in the market for my first phaser and have been looking at the above. Do people think that the MXR is a good phaser, is it worth the extra £40 odd pounds to get the 100 version and what alternatives might you suggest to look at in the same price area. I have seen the 90 version for about £80 and the 100 model at around £120 which is the very top of my budget.

There seems to be some love for this phaser but is that because their good or is that because their well advertised? I love the Moog but I can't stretch to that at the moment.

Comments and ideas always appreciated.

BH12neil

For what it's worth I've used a Phase 90 for years and absolutely love it. If you want a simple, small design with a really rich sweep, but not as ridiculous as the Small Stone with the colour switch flipped to INSANEMODE, then the Phase 90 is just for you. If you want a few more options then the Subdecay Quasar (or Baby Quasar for that matter) could be better for you.

I'm trying to move over to a Line 6 M9 for all my modulation and delay stuff at the moment so it looks like I may be kissing goodbye to it, although if I were to keep any one of my modulation or delay pedals it would be my Phase 90 every time.

If you get the Phase 90 make sure you get a Script reissue or if you get the block logo version make the R28 mod on it.
Out of the box the block logo Phase 90 has a volume boost and an exaggerated effect which don't sound nice on bass, the R28 mod brings it closer to the Script version or EVH models...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1333799243' post='1606627']
If you get the Phase 90 make sure you get a Script reissue or if you get the block logo version make the R28 mod on it.
Out of the box the block logo Phase 90 has a volume boost and an exaggerated effect which don't sound nice on bass, the R28 mod brings it closer to the Script version or EVH models...
[/quote]

To be honest I've never noticed the volume boost and I quite like how it sounds on bass, but to each their own I guess. I'm pretty sure mine is unmodded as I got it from new. Having said that I've not had the opportunity to compare it side by side with the script reissue or an EVH model.

• 2 weeks later...

The Phase 90 and Phase 100 are very different-sounding phasers due to the number of stages they have. The Phase 90 has four stages and gives the traditional 'vintage' phaser tones and is 'chewy' sounding with the Phase 100 having ten stages and thus sounding more 'syrupy'.

Either will work fine on bass - I've had a 'Block' Phase 90, an EVH Phase 90 (with Script Mode switch), the Phase 100 and the more subtle two stage Phase 45 reissue over the years. Each has their own qualities which are really down to personal preference:

- on bass and Electric PIano sounds, I prefer the Phase 90
- on string and other synth sounds, I prefer the Phase 100
- on guitar, I prefer the Phase 45

As others have mentioned, the Block version has a bit of a boost in some frequencies and some of the older revision circuit boards can be modded to sound like a 'Script' (a reference to the old MXR script logo of the 70s), which is a tad smoother/subtler. The EVH has a button to switch between Script and Block models.

On bass, I didn't notice too much of a boost with a standard Block model and would happily use an unmodded one, but it is more noticeable on guitar and on synths, it would simply start clipping, where the Script mode did not.

Other phasers worth looking at are the Boss PH-1R (four stage), the Roland AP-2 (six stage), The Fender Phaser (four stage) and the Maxon/Ibanez PT-999 Phase Tones, which on the surface, appear to be Phase 90 clones, but are in fact using a negative sweep, which is subtracted from the original signal, rather than added with the Phase 90. They're a bit subtler than the Phase 90 but still really nice phasers.