Why become a member? ×

When I get drunk

Amafi

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get a little help..

I'm playing the Mike Henderson version of this song and have listened to the bassline for hours trying to work it out.
I can get away with what I am playing but would love to know if there is any particular scale he is playing (like some chromatic scale) so I could just play around with the scale instead of a standard-ish walking pattern.

It sounds like he is throwing in a few bum notes to confuse me. Listen to the bassline at 1.46, that's what i'm really referring to.

Here is the song.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduQMAxTdKU[/media]

Any help appreciated :yarr:

Thanks

Edited by Amafi
  • Like 1

Can't really hear it but it sounds like chromatic passing notes held over a little longer than is ordinarily accepted (that's a posh way of implying that the notes are poor choices, if not wrong). Can't say anything else other than 'accurate' transcriptions of wrong notes are more common than most of us would like!

• 9 years later...

Ressurecting an old thread, I am having the same issues as @Amafi, to the point that I am playing guitar on this number rather than bass, Mike's job is safe :).  Any suggestions on what would fit this 12 bar shuffle gratefully received. FWIW it is very similar to Darts, The boy in New York City.

Edited by 3below

Try his appearance on Jools

The bass player has a "unique" style. Probably not the way I'd play that song, but it fits.

He starts with a slide between root and 5, then gets into root-3-5-6-8 patterns. A more standard walking line would work.