Why become a member? ×

Finally!! An ideal solution

Wolverinebass

After what seemed like eons looking unsuccessfully for a new band (and then not looking for about 6 months) I've finally had some luck. I took stock of how I played and realised that there would never be a one stop shop for all the things I want to do. My playing has become more schizophrenic over the years and I've noticed I can really only play in 2 ways. Full on rampage up and down the neck a la John Entwistle and more grungy type playing which is a bit simpler. They're not compatible mindsets to have in the same band. Hence some of the problems I was having as I couldn't decide which side to go on. Then after 6 months of practising my technique, I wondered why can I not have both in different bands? Why I didn't think of this before I don't know.....

So a few weeks ago I answered an ad on Gumtree for a power trio. The musicians are really good and I'm getting carte blanche to basically do what I want. The stuff sounds a bit like Cream and I'm loving it. It's very 70's and I suppose since I taught myself to play with Quadrophenia, it's pretty much my thing. Okay, so it's not going to be a trio now as we're auditioning singers next week, but the fact is I'm having so much fun with it I expect to wake up at any second.

At the same time, I've been in contact with an old guitarist mate of mine who is a mutual fan of King's X so it's 12 and 8 string basses all the way for that. Totally brutal bass sounds and some progressive twists. Meh, Meh, Meh!! :D

Obviously this state of being happy about stuff will only last so long, but it's taken such a long time for me to get here after my last band kind of stopped, I'm just going to be grateful it's even come along at all.

[sup]Good for you.[/sup]
[sup]Hope it all works out the way you want.[/sup]
[sup]I gave up playing in bands 15 yrs ago and took stock of my style and technique. Learned a lot of new styles, techniques and ended up playing in a classic rock band but i am able to cover anything they ask without question or any serious work.[/sup]
[sup]My main issue was i used to play the bass hard fingerstyle - really digging into the strings. I watched many virtuoso bass players from Jamerson to Manring to Wooten although nowhere near as competent i learned a lot that made me play lighter on the strings, more relaxed and subsequently a lot faster with the same level of effort and without the strain on my right hand from digging in for 2hr gigs. Better amplification has also helped in that respect as its now easier for bass to be heard on stage.[/sup]

[sup]Cheers[/sup]
[sup]Dave[/sup]

Edited by dmccombe7