Why become a member? ×

Janek's new album

stonecoldbass

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334858441' post='1622545']
More here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172675-janeks-new-album/page__view__findpost__p__1603695"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1603695[/url]
[/quote]

Seriously mate, I just absolutely split up laughing. Thank you very much :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1334298321' post='1613905']
Mind you, he may have a point about these four walled bedroom commanders, but he would do well not to insult them too much as they are probably the only people buying his records, and the people who leap to defend him on the internet. These same people he mocks are sadly the ones who probably rate him the most, with their fawning idolatry ("he played at my college..."). In his rebuttal, he also states that they don't come to his shows to dance or bring girls. If you've gone to a fusion show to dance or pick up birds you've probably gone to the wrong show, especially these days when most fusion is so undanceable. He seems to want to portray himself as some sort of hip, fly jazz musician who is too cool for his fans. Quite frankly, I think he cheapens himself by insulting his fans in the way he has. So what if some music college geek wants to come and watch him play live, and doesn't want to dance? They paid the door fee, didn't they?

Ultimately, it sounds to me like a case of ego surpassing talent, something which is quite unnattractive, especially when your name is regularly dropped in a crowd of far superior bassists and musicians. That said, someone above mentioned that they weren't much of a fusion fan and yet they found that Weather Report appealed. The state of fusion has long been a point of debate, but I don't think it's especially healthy now. The current crowd could do with looking at the records of the 70's and 80's, where the bands were writing songs and making music that stayed with you rather than washing over you. As I have mentioned earlier, I think the scene of the 'bass hero' is in a pretty sad state these days too, as there is no-one really making an impact like Stuart Hamm, Victor Wooten, Mark King, Michael Manring, Jaco Pastorius etc etc have in days gone by. Janek himself makes it pretty clear that he isn't really interested in making music for musicians unless you're buying drinks and dancing at his shows!

Not to say that fusion is crap today, or that the day of the bass hero is gone. But everything could do with a lift, and we really need some great songs to be written in that genre.
[/quote]

I like some of Janek's recordings, so I guess that makes me guilty of "fawning idolatry" :lol:. I haven't heard his latest offering, but when I get chance then I will make my decision on it.

But from reading this, you seem to have the ego problem. You also seem to have a problem with people not liking what you do, and with people not agreeing with you.

I guess the problem with the internet is that it brings out the Walter Mitty aspect of peoples character.

I also think the current bass scene is very vibrant. Players like Etienne M'bappe and Linley Marthe are two exciting players.