Why become a member? ×

Precision Pickup Height

sixdegrees

Can anyone recommend a standard pickup height for a USA Precision pup?

I've read in my manual that it should be around 2.8 mm at the E string, and 2 mm at the G. But this seems very close to be a standard height (not that I'm complaining too much - I like the pups close to the strings as it suits my playing style).

And I know that the key is to use your ears and adjust to suit personal style, but I wanted a reference point to start at before I make the tiny tweaks.

Thanks in advance.

It's usually measured with the string fretted at the last fret and 1/8" (3mm) at the bass side and 3/32" (2.5mm) at the treble are the values given in Dan Erlwine's Guitar Player Repair Guide.

EDIT: top of pole piece to under-side of string.

Edited by ColinB

Well... using ColinB's criteria (i.e. string fretted at last fret and measuring from top of pole piece to underside of string), I've got a gnat's cock under 3mm on the bass side and a gnat's cock under 2.5mm on the treble side.

A gnat's cock being an internationally-recognised unit that's too small to measure. I've got flats fitted too, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Mark :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333550334' post='1603401']
Well... using ColinB's criteria (i.e. string fretted at last fret and measuring from top of pole piece to underside of string), I've got a gnat's cock under 3mm on the bass side and a gnat's cock under 2.5mm on the treble side.

A gnat's cock being the internationally-recognised unit that's 'too small to measure'. I've got flats fitted too, but I doubt that makes a difference.

Mark :)
[/quote]I've always believed a midge's m***e to be "the internationally-recognised unit that's 'too small to measure", I think you'll find the gnat's cock is absolutely huge by comparison ;)

BTW mine are about the same height - pick ups that is :rolleyes:

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1333550618' post='1603407']
...I've always believed a midge's m***e to be "the internationally-recognised unit that's 'too small to measure", I think you'll find the gnat's cock is absolutely huge by comparison...
[/quote]

I'll see your midge's m***e and raise you a gnat's cock!