Why become a member? ×

Help a noob

Jobiebass

hey hows it going.

Im a total noob when it comes to amps/cabs. Used a 15wat thing for years and it wasnt till I bought a new one I realised how terrible it sounded, the tone was perthetic etc.

I bought an EB 15-180 EVO II Combo which is pretty good, infact. its awesome for me. But where do I go from here? can I add a cab to it or would I need to buy a head and cab(s)
If I could add a cab to it then which do I go for? Id like to stick to ashdown although I do like the look of the Markbass cabs (altho never heard them) I dont plan on gigging with it, 2x10? 4x10?

any help would be great.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='176218' date='Apr 14 2008, 01:01 PM']Not familiar with the amp but if you can add an extension speaker there will be a speakon or jack for it and it should be labelled with minimum impedence.[/quote]

This is the spec for it, speaker out mean I can do it???

Power Output (RMS) 180W
Power Requirement 230 /115v
Speaker Configuration 1 x 15" BlueLine speaker
Frequency Response -3dB at 33Hz and 25KHz
Speaker Outputs Minimum impedance 4 Ohms
High Instrument Input Impedance 3.9MOhms / Input range 150mV - 20V p-p
Low Instrument Input Impedance 10KOhms / Input range 300mV - 40V p-p
Line Input Impedance 22k Ohms / Input level 0dBu nominal
DI Output 600 Ohms balanced / Level -20dBu nominal
Tuner Output Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
Signal to noise Better than 80dB (EQ flat)
EQ Bass +/-15dB @ 100Hz
Lo Mid +/-15dB @ 220Hz
Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz
Hi Mid +/-15dB @ 1.6kHz
Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz shelving
Deep +8dB @ 50Hz
Bright +10dB @ 10kHz
Effects Send Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
Effects Return Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
Distortion Less than 0.5% THD
H x W x D (mm) 581 x 474 x 300
Weight (kg) 29

ooo... so this means I can pretty much get whatever 8ohm cab I want then??

MAG 210T Deep Cabinet

Power Handling 250W continuous
Speaker Configuration 2 x 10" + tweeter
Frequency Response 60Hz - 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohms
SPL 98dB 1W @ 1m
H x W x D (mm) 468 x 604 x 420
Weight (kg) 29

Or

MAG 410T

Power Handling 450W continuous
Speaker Configuration 4 x 10" + tweeter
Frequency Response 60Hz - 20kHz
Impedance 8 Ohms
SPL 101dB 1W @ 1m
H x W x D (mm) 655 x 604 x 420
Weight (kg) 37

Im guessing as I already have 1x15 ill want to go for 2x10 or 4x10 instead of another 1x15???

Depends on how much volume/speaker area you really need when gigging, and how much you can fit in whatever transport you get to gigs. I've got the 210T cab and it doesn't sound any more trebley than my Peavey 1x15, so it won't necessarily add much more definition to your onstage sound. An extra 2x10 would do you for most gigging situations as you should have PA support for bigger venues. Of course you might just like the bigger stack of having a 4x10 as well as your combo, up to you really.

Well, I think you need to think about why you actually want an extension cab. It's only going to make you louder, really. You say you're not going to gig it and I would have thought 180watts through a 15" speaker would have been loud enough for home playing. I've used that set up for small gigs!

If you're insistent on getting something, though, I'd suggest a 2x10. I wouldn't have thought you'd use a 4x10 to nearly its potential at low volumes.

The Ashdown ones do have the advantage of looking very cool and 2x10s are a lot more maneuverable than a full on 4x10 cab.

Yeah I dont plan on gigging with it and I know I really dont need anything louder, But I get bored to tears at work and have nothing better to do then GAS over anything and everything, I work away from home so its always nice to buy something with my "hard" earnt money on the weekend.
My Current GAS list is 5string Bongo, pedals with names on ill never use and every upgrade under the sun for my work in progress P bass.

TBH I just want something to piss my neighbours off and to look/sound good when im home on the weekend.

"In that case I wouldn't bother getting anything else, your existing combo should be more than sufficient for your needs. Spend the spare cash on lessons instead!" Alex
I messaged someone from here the other day about lessons, I think after 2 years of learning bad habbits its about time to learn from someone who knows what they are doing. hopefully should start soon, the only person who's taught me anything about bass is a mate who mainly a Guitard, but an instrumentalist all the same. ( I do get a few hours practice a day though, nothing else to do in hotel rooms after work ) *Waits for a hooker joke*

Edited by Jobiebass

Definitely go for the bongo/ and or lessons. Buying more speakers just for the home will be a waste of money, I feel.

Your Ashdown with one speaker isn't going to sound a whole lot different to Your ashdown with an extra 8 speakers if it's being played at the same volume.

At least a new guitar that you want will be tangible and something you can experience is worth the money you spent on it.

Edited by Huw

[quote name='Huw' post='176324' date='Apr 14 2008, 03:23 PM']Definitely go for the bongo/ and or lessons. Buying more speakers just for the home will be a waste of money, I feel.

Your Ashdown with one speaker isn't going to sound a whole lot different to Your ashdown with an extra 8 speakers if it's being played at the same volume.

At least a new guitar that you want will be tangible and something you can experience is worth the money you spent on it.[/quote]

Your right, its rare I go to the practice room now-a-days anyway to warrent having it louder.

Ive only bought a Stingray a month or so back and ive got a unlined fretless being built (when the neck eventually turns up) so I think im ok for basses at the mo, although I do want a 5er and I think bongo is the way forward. Im sure if I could find one in a shop to play id walk out with it with a nice dent in my creditcard.