Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

Hamster

[quote name='elom' post='21132' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:44 PM']Okay three things I'd like to see in BGM:[list=1]
[*]Blind comparisons - seriously! Go on, blindfold a reviewer and give him a Squier, MIM, MIJ & MIA (or any variations) and lets have a shootout where you don't know what you've got!
[*]Reader's wives. No not that, but why not feature one of the readers and their kit for a change? Some (not all) of the celeb interviews are so dull and uninformative that I reckon regular Joes would be just as interesting.
[*]A review with less than 3 stars. It's almost as if they are afraid to do it for fear of annoying the advertisers. The Gibson SG review is a good example I reckon
[/list]For what it's worth, I am a subscriber and I really like the mag so I'm not dissing it - just making some suggestions.[/quote]

Good comments. I am a subscriber too, by the way.[list=1]
[*]I have been involved for years (in academic research) in so called anonymous reviewing and you there are nearly always strong clues to a paper's authorship. I fear that attempting blind reviews would be a lot of hassle and that, all too often, the reviewer would work out the hidden identities anyway. Something that I personally like is to have a second opinion: a paragraph or two from another reviewer who has read the first review and just had a play with the kit but not spent the same time with it as the main reviewer. Then if the first reviewer just happens to be biased toward Fender basses, for example, the second reviewer has the chance to balance the review out a bit.
[*]I also had the idea they should interview some less famous people but you need to be a bit careful you don't end up devoting pages and pages to bedroom widdlers like myself :huh: . Teachers and gigging players only?
[*]I'd just like to see more reviews, and more head-to-head comparisons that reflect the kind of decisions you end up having to make in a shop or, worse still, from internet shop descriptions.
[/list]
I reallly like BGM and better alternatives do not exist :)
But it could be better still...

Same topic, slightly different subject but sort of links with the aspiration thing, did anyone notice the Warwick custom shop advert?

If you look closely at the 'endorsees' shown on this add, you will note a certain Daryll from Profane. If I am not mistaken, this is the same Daryll who used to be on the original bassworld under the username Profane who I went on to buy my SWR750x off some years later and who is a top bass bloke.

So I guess this proves that if you work hard at your craft and continue to aspire to great things, sometimes it will actually work out.

I find BGM to be a fantastic read, albeit a little short. This is probably more quality over quantity however - which cannot be criticised.

The reviews I find do tend to air towards higher end gear - then again I don't get every issue and might be missing the budget reviews.

The interviews are superb - some top names have been in there and have always been a great insight.

[quote name='Machines' post='26898' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:32 AM']The reviews I find do tend to air towards higher end gear - then again I don't get every issue and might be missing the budget reviews.[/quote]

+1 that was one thing that puts me off buying it is that the gear is always well out of my league, some stuff for your average joe would be good particularly the amps, not to say there arne't any cheaper amps in there but they tend to be bedroom combos not something suitable for gigging, i tend to check it when its out on the shelves but haven't bought one in a while sorry.

In a magazine its inevitable that there are gonna be months that just don't interest you. Sound on Sound is much like this. Sometimes its full of techniques, gear and people i wanna know about, other times its full stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

You gotta roll with the punches and you will never please everyone.

Keep up the good work.

G