Why become a member? ×

Downgrading?

TRBboy

RE the Markbass stuff...yep, you do need it to do the gigs you do.

The number of times I see a bass player turn up with a tiny rig and he thinks that from a volume POV he is covered..!!
Sometimes he may well be, but others he is straining the c*** out of it and it really sounds like it as well.
Enough voume in a rig is not the same as a great sound at all.

Keep the MB.. even tho I am not a fan so much..but at least you have the full beans should you need it. IMO.

We do have funny ideas of downgrading and up grading.

Past a certain point if the bass works then it works and it's price isn't really the same as it's value.
One of greatest basses I have owned and really the only one I regret selling was a 1975 cimar jazz copy, cost me £70, worth not much more than that- but boy was it fun to play. I had a valenti for a while- lovely bass but not for me. For me the cimar was the upgrade.

I am a believer in keeping kit that will be used and is fit for your needs. Over the past few years I have cut a lot of the fat by selling kit that was 'nice to have' and not necessarily being used for anything. The stuff I sold was the fruits of my labour that I aquired over many years and I was proud of my collection, but I sucked up my pride and was honest with myself. But, there is nothing wrong with collecting kit if you get enjoyment from it. I know someone that has never played outside of his bedroom for 20yrs and has a collection of 11 high end guitars and 4 high end amps. There is a fine line between being fanatical about your kit and over practicality. That line is in a different place from person to person.

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1333405821' post='1601399']
When I heard you play I though you had THE perfect setup ! it sounded amazing, the sort of rounded true bass sound I'd love to have. DONT SELL ANYTHING unless its to me at a price I can afford....
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, that's kind of reassuring. I suppose when I think back over all the basses I've had (and ultimately not been completely happy with) before I found the Sandbergs, I guess I would be stupid to go back to anything else.

If you fancy a night out to Hereford on Saturday, we're doing a Cider festival at the football ground which should be a good laugh! Only a fiver to get in too.