Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Slim Taper fretless neck, quick review

Max Normal

Hi, I posted a few weeks back asking if anyone had experience of Warmoths new "Slim Taper" neck option. Nobody did, but I went ahead anyway and promised to give my opinion to anyone thinking of buying one (Warmoth bass necks seemed to have a bit of a rep for being baseball batty on the talkbass forums).

I got this one in standard maple, but with a macassar ebony fretboard. Nut is P-width, finish is satin nitro.

Well it is slim, but not unusually so for a high-class instrument, I expect they are comparing it as "slim" with fat vintage Fender-style necks. Anyone used to playing a Lakland or a Warwick lightning fast neck will be familiar with this kind of profile. In fact with the fast satin nitro finish, it feels very like my Lakland Bob Glaub.

The finish and workmanship is as perfect as you would expect, and these come with strengthening rods like USA Fenders, but did not feel heavy at all (another stigma of Warmoth bass necks apparently), so hopefully neck-dive won't be an issue.

I have to say that although I had to sell my partner into slavery to get one, I'm absolutley chuffed to bits with it. If you are thinking of getting a slim-taper Warmoth, you won't be dissapointed.

BTW Machine heads were from Axesrus, and are really nice for £8.00 each (beautiful machining on the gears), great service too.

[attachment=103675:028.JPG][attachment=103674:027.JPG][attachment=103672:025.JPG][attachment=103673:026.JPG]