Why become a member? ×

Shaftesbury 4001

woodster909

Thought I'd dig this out and get some photos done.

It's been in a mates (dehumidified) cellar for the last 7 years, and doesn't really get look in since I got my Ric.

Got it 2nd hand in 1978, when I was a wee nipper just getting into punk rock !!

I went into the shop to get a £80 Columbus Precision copy, but the bloke insisted I have this for £120 instead. Good man.

• 7 months later...

Hey. I have one of those! Also bought as a nipper around the same time. Cost me 35 quid because it had been stripped-down to the bare wood. I naively took a teenage stab at re-finishing it myself. Not great - but I managed a half-decent brownburst. mine has the original fitted hardshell case.

Any info on history, accurate date, etc. would be welcome.

Yeah, if you do a search in the Bass Guitars forum you'll find a post where Bassassin (BC's resident 'faker expert) spills all he knows on the Shaftesbury copies. Unfortunately AFAIR that wasn't very much - no confirmed factory or reliable dating from the serials as I recall. :(

Edit: Found it - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/64691-shaftesbury-bass-second-try

Edited by Musky

Thanks. Satifies my curiousity somewhat.

No so bothered about market value. My plan is to hang onto this for sentimental and novelty reasons. (It was my first "real" bass.) However, I am considering putting some money into getting it playable. (It needs re-fretting and a good, professional set-up.)

• 3 weeks later...