Why become a member? ×

Double bass for sale *SOLD*

chrkelly

Double bass made by Joel Mentec, Avignon, France in 1994

Brilliant bass which I'll miss dearly but I've now found a great Italian bass to replace it with. So, if any professional bassists on here know anyone looking for a great orchestral/jazz instrument with a powerful projecting sound, drop me a pm.

The luthier's website is [url="http://www.mentec.fr/home.php"]http://www.mentec.fr/home.php[/url]

I'm looking for around the £12,000 mark but I'm open to offers.

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='chrkelly' post='174802' date='Apr 11 2008, 07:29 PM']Double bass made by Joel Mentec, Avignon, France in 1994

Brilliant bass which I'll miss dearly but I've now found a great Italian bass to replace it with. So, if any professional bassists on here know anyone looking for a great orchestral/jazz instrument with a powerful projecting sound, drop me a pm.[/quote]

Is that a Full Circle I see? How do you like it? Threads up or down?

No worries, selling and buying basses takes a hell of a long time. The instrument is designed as a solo bass so the sound is very focused and very even across all strings. The G is particularly sweet around the neck join and really sings. Thumb position and beyond is very comfortable, D neck and very small shoulders mean I can reach the harmonics beyond the fingerboard with ease, also definition isn't lost the higher you go (some basses turn really muddy above an E). Lower register is again sweet and focused, not as big as some but still packs quite a punch.

Approx dimensions in cm:

String length - 105
Overall length - 185
Upper bout - 45
Lower bout - 68
Ribs at upper bout - 20
Ribs at lower bout - 23

The full circle is a great pickup and the best I've used so far. Similar sound to the Gage Realist but without all the muddiness. Works so much better at high volume as well. On my bass threads are down although I doubt the other way would sound different.

Chris

Edited by chrkelly

Thanks for your helpful reply Chris. I fitted a FS yesterday, threads down, and it sounded great straight out of the box. Then it packed up! So I won't be taking it to the gig tomorrow, which I was looking forward to doing. I've always used an Underwood and could never get on with a Realist. I hope I won't have too much of a hassle getting a replacement and then hopefully I can continue to enjoy the FS experience.

Hope you sell your bass soon; it sounds a nice instrument.

Roger

[quote name='bassace' post='175706' date='Apr 13 2008, 04:37 PM']Thanks for your helpful reply Chris. I fitted a FS yesterday, threads down, and it sounded great straight out of the box. Then it packed up! So I won't be taking it to the gig tomorrow, which I was looking forward to doing. I've always used an Underwood and could never get on with a Realist. I hope I won't have too much of a hassle getting a replacement and then hopefully I can continue to enjoy the FS experience.

Hope you sell your bass soon; it sounds a nice instrument.

Roger[/quote]

I use a Full Circle and due to being a complete wally managed to pull the cable away from the pick. Fishman very obligingly fixed it. Phew. I like them as well. I will shortly be trying an Audio Technica ATM350 because one is about to cross my path. Some say that if you put your pick up through your amp, but 350 through the F.O.H. then you get FAB tone for the punters and no feedback.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='175736' date='Apr 13 2008, 05:53 PM']Cheers Chris,
I'll stay in touch re the progress of your sale and let you know should I manage to sell my two.
I do know several players so I'll also mention your instrument to them.
Best of luck and thanks for the PM.
Jake[/quote]

Cheers Jake, the more people who know this is on the market the better.

[quote name='owen' post='175971' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:35 PM']I use a Full Circle and due to being a complete wally managed to pull the cable away from the pick. Fishman very obligingly fixed it. Phew. I like them as well. I will shortly be trying an Audio Technica ATM350 because one is about to cross my path. Some say that if you put your pick up through your amp, but 350 through the F.O.H. then you get FAB tone for the punters and no feedback.[/quote]

Yeah, the desigh is a little flimsy. Brilliant pickup though if handled with care. The only thing I don't like is the white wire and the ridicously heavy jack socket and mounting. It acts like a mute on the string afterlength.
I've used a 350 a few times blended with the full circle. Sounded great and doesn't get in the way. I had it mounted in the treble f hole.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy New Year to you Chris ;)

Is this the same DB you had at home when I came round to try out your NS EUB (I think that was 18 months ago) ? I know I should remember with the Lion scroll, but have to confess at that time I didn't ever think I'd go for a full size (ok, 3/4) upright, so I obviously wasn't paying enough attention.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='378622' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:47 AM']Happy New Year to you Chris ;)

Is this the same DB you had at home when I came round to try out your NS EUB (I think that was 18 months ago) ? I know I should remember with the Lion scroll, but have to confess at that time I didn't ever think I'd go for a full size (ok, 3/4) upright, so I obviously wasn't paying enough attention.

Andy[/quote]

Happy new year Andy, hope you're well. Yes it's the same bass. Glad you bit the bullet on the full acoustic upright, that NS was a great instrument in its own right but felt and sounded absolutely nothing like a real double bass.

Cheers,
Chris