Why become a member? ×

MiJ Boogie bass. What is it?

BassTractor

Hi folks,

Anyone know anything about these MiJ Boogie basses? A guy who owns one, remarked they suspiciously look like old Vantage basses, also from Japan. Idunno. What sayest thou?

best,
bert

[attachment=102798:Boogie MiJ all.jpg]

[attachment=102799:Boogie MiJ body.jpg]

[attachment=102800:Boogie MiJ head.jpg]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1332028944' post='1582423']
I know nothing about them, but the logo is identical to that used by Mesa for their Boogie amps in the 80s/90s.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're so right, and I hadn't even considered that, as the owner said they had _zilch_ to do with Mesa Boogie.
So: either he was just wrong, or someone abused the Boogie logo.
Thanks for coming up with that picture!

best,
bert

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1332062421' post='1582581']
But for the logo on the headstock, and the P/J pickups, it looks like a Westone Thunder...
[/quote]

The pickups are what you'd expect on a Thunder III... but the controls are different, there are extra frets, and there appears to be some wood missing at the bridge end of the body.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'd seen the Thunder likeness. To me, the Boogie looks like a cowardly Thunder. :^)

What struck me especially about this Boogie was the very special form of the body bottom (or whazzacalled). Never seen anything like it, and can't find pics of anything similar.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1332115475' post='1583637']
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I'd seen the Thunder likeness. To me, the Boogie looks like a cowardly Thunder. :^)

What struck me especially about this Boogie was the very special form of the body bottom (or whazzacalled). Never seen anything like it, and can't find pics of anything similar.
[/quote]

It [i]could[/i] be that a previous owner took a Thunder III and restored/customised it:[list]
[*]the lower bout has been carved on the body
[*]the headstock has been carved to increase the depth of the "scallops"
[*]an aftermarket Boogie logo has been applied
[*]the neck has 24 frets instead of 22
[*]the fret markers are dots rather than snow flakes
[*]the thuners are cloverleaf heads rather than the usual Westone design
[/list]
It could be a genuine Matsumoku custom built for a Boogie advertising campaign or as a kit-bashed prototype for a range of instruments that never came to fruition.

It could be home-built.

Who knows?

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Could be imagining it, but do recall seeing a bass identical to this back in the day on some music shop wall. Is it a thru-neck?[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Does look quite similar to a Vantage and even Washburn 'Scavenger', either way I'd guess it was related, in being Matsumoku origin.[/font][/size]

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1332176731' post='1584354']
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Is it a thru-neck?[/font][/size][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Does look quite similar to a Vantage and even Washburn 'Scavenger', either way I'd guess it was related, in being Matsumoku origin.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks for the responses, guys!

The ad is gone, so I can't confirm, but I found this Matsumoku bolt-on Aria from the seventies:

[attachment=103073:Aria 70s by Matsumoku body.jpg]

I think chances are the "Boogie" is bolt-on too. It doesn't strike me as a very expensive bass. Now I'm often wrong of course, being a keyboard nazi and all that.

best,
bert