Why become a member? ×

5 string tuning

barry44

hi,

first of all apologies if this is in wrong section, mods please move if need be.

i currently play a four string which i detune half a step to D#G#C#F#

There is a couple of songs which we go down a further full step on the E to C#

i have seen a 5 string bass which is really interesting me and i was wondering if C# D# G# C# F# was an acheivable tuning for a five or if it would cause problems to the bass?

does anyone tune to this?

is it achievable?

look forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Barry

If you could persuade the rest of the band to tune down another half step, this would be very easy - tuning a B up to C is fine (I used to do so all the time and John Myung from Dream Theater does it in As I Am, I believe)... if you're totally against that though, tuning up a whole step shouldn't be too bad - what scale length is the 5-string you're looking at? If I were you I'd also have go playing it in A# for a while - you might be surprised how much use you can get out of those extra notes!

i understand that it is a 34" scale.

the bass is an ibanez SRX705, i really like the 4 strings of these but they are currently like hen's teeth so i thought i could dip into the 5 string market.

What do you mean by A# tuning, would that be just tuning everything down half a step, i.e. like my current 4 string tuning?

the reason i would like the C# tuning is that the songs we play with that tuning has open strings on the C#.

Yeah, that's what I mean - that way you can play a perfect fourth down when the guitars are in D# - I've just remembered (you'd expect me to realise...) that my band play in those tunings as well - when the guitars tune down to dropped C# I do the same and just don't use the bottom string in those songs - I did actually used to play the lower notes on the bottom string instead (I got my first 5-string just so I could do this and quite happily played in standard tuning whilst the guitarist re-tuned from E to C to dropped D :)), but if the guitarists have time to re-tune, so do we! Still, it's a good work-out to learn your material in different tunings and in different positions, so I would definitely recommend getting a 5-string if only for that reason... if you can't get used to playing like that, you may as well just re-tune when you have to (or get a Hipshot D-tuner if re-tuning is too much of a pain - it's cheaper than a new bass! But presumably not as fun :huh:)