Why become a member? ×

Kala SUB UBass - no audible output

basskit_case

Evening All,

Just prior to Christmas last year I ordered and received a Kala Sub UBass from the States via eBay, when I got it initially there was no audible output from the bass, just silence. I swapped the batteries out and got it to work, put the old batteries in and it still worked so good news.

After a few weeks I put it down and didnt touch it again until this week and got the same problem again, no audible output.
I got new batteries swapped in but still no output. The only time I hear anything is when I get a slight crackle from turning the volume/tone knobs or when I put my finger on the battery and hear an electrical hum.

With the half a story I have provided does anybody know how I can proceed with repairing this? With the expense and logistics involved in sending it back to the shop in the States I think I would be better served trying to fix it here either through a shop or by myself.

Camera is currently charging, photo's of the bass innards will be with you shortly.

Thanks

Edited by basskit_case

Check the contact between the battery and battery clips. Presuming that the jack socket is a stereo one used for switching, make sure that the ring and sleeve contacts get shorted together when the lead is inserted. Make sure you're using a mono lead.

I'd also go over all the solder joints on the PCB. Makes me wonder if it stopped due to a problem with a bad contact or bad joint, changing the battery the first time dislodged things enough for the contact to be made, hence it starting to work, then more recently the battery change wasn't sufficient to dislodge it or the joint/contact has oxidised further.

Thank you very much for that response the key point in your response for me was this:

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1331899305' post='1580582']
Make sure you're using a mono lead.
[/quote]

It turns out that since picking up the bass again this week I was using a stereo cable, on swapping it out for a mono cable the bass is now fully functioning
and audible. :blush:

I will keep an eye on it and see what happens, although if I have been using stereo and mono cables without realising in the past this should explain the intermittent failure of the sound.

Thank you