Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Precision - Burgundy + flame maple Jazz neck with a modern/vintage mix.

CBbass

Hi guys,

Dream bass time! I can't get anywhere near the quality of material + spec I want through fender; I want a traditional set-up but with a Jazz profile neck and custom colour. I like modern features such as graphite neck and easy truss adjustment on the body... Warmoth it is!

[u][b]Just placed an order on Warmoth for:[/b][/u][list]
[*]Alder, burgundy finish; traditional p bass body (I chose the lightest they had on showcase going for 4lbs13).
[/list][list]
[*]Jazz bass neck; maple/maple top, flamed maple with black dots, slim taper neck, vintage frets, graphite truss, vintage style fender tuners, vintage tint satin nitro finish.
[/list]
[u][b]What I need to order or think over.[/b][/u][list]
[*]Decided not to go with the badass. I'm leaning towards a vintage style bridge, the Gotoh 203 looks interesting.
[/list][list]
[*]Standard chrome hardware. Flat barrel knobs. Blank plate for the back. Schaller BML open tuners.
[/list][list]
[*]Nordstrand NP4 with a vintage 60's repro cloth wired circuit (not fender made).
[/list][list]
[*]Probably going to put a p bass logo on perhaps the same as my 57'. I think it would fit what I have more than a 70's logo, which I also like.
[/list][list]
[*]I want a decent mint green pickguard, I didn't order a Warmoth one because the colour is far stronger than I would have liked. Most likely going for a fender made. If this fails there's always parchment!
[/list]
Alright, so this is actually a first build for me. I'm most likely to get a luthier to do it for me because I'm fairly inexperienced with guitar DIY. I'm not prepared to cock up $1000 worth of parts! I'm not compromising on a set budget, only the best'll do. I really would welcome any suggestions and comments, hopefully this build will interest some people.

I'm going to update this post with any progress. Stay tuned!

[color=#ff0000]I've taken an image from the Warmoth bass thread on talkbass, it'll give you guys a rough image of what I'm hoping to achieve. Other two images are of the actual body used pre-finish and the neck specs.[/color]

Edited by CBbass

I might try this logo instead

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Warmoth-Decal-with-Turtle-Logo-P75C219.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Warmoth-Decal-with-Turtle-Logo-P75C219.aspx[/url]

I wouldn't be adding the turtle however. I think it looks pretty nice.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1331826540' post='1579560']
I pretty much know how to put together a bass in theory, I have never done anything remotely like it though and I don't want to screw up such expensive parts.
[/quote]

If you're just assembling parts, there shouldnt be anything to 'screw up', you may have to do things more than once, or tweak/adjust things, but nothing that will damage the bass or components. I've assembled 3 basses from scratch, i have no skills, but a screwdriver, a soldering iron (Not neccessary either with some pickup/pot assemblies), and a keen eye is all you need. My three are fab, and were cheap too, and I used all Fender components.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331829972' post='1579623']
Wow! Every time I've gone on their website and spec'd up a neck its run to at least $500. How did you get so cheap?
[/quote]

Ah, I misread it. It'll be around £850 after charges.

Ah so. Yes that seems more like it. Still, bet you can't wait to get hold of the bits and start building eh?

The two bits of wood should bolt together easily enough. If you haven't had the bridge holes drilled you might want to get some help with the positioning of that though. WD Music are pretty good for scratchplates over here! It'll be gorgeous when its done though :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331833680' post='1579699']
Ah so. Yes that seems more like it. Still, bet you can't wait to get hold of the bits and start building eh?

The two bits of wood should bolt together easily enough. If you haven't had the bridge holes drilled you might want to get some help with the positioning of that though. WD Music are pretty good for scratchplates over here! It'll be gorgeous when its done though :)
[/quote]

Thanks man, I absolutely can't wait until the parts start to arrive. I've been planning this think for about a year and a half. I've always known generally what it will be but I'm always changing my mind regarding things such as tuners, bridges and logo etc. The neck and body joints are pre drilled so that will be very easy to put together. I've managed to source parts for the entire bass which will be all nickel, the hardest part was finding nickel barrel knobs. Thankfully Gotoh make them. I've heard that the Warmoth finish, whilst not nitro, is very thin and will sink into the wood nicely after a few years. Of course I doubt I'll ever "relic" like roadworns but I don't really care about body wear. I am however chosing nickel so it will age slightly; by personal preference I like it more than chrome.

I've actually had a WD music tort before, whilst it was very, very nice like the old Fender tort. The fit couldn't have been more off. I would order off them again though for a tort, however I'm going for mint green this time. It will be a fender made one for american standards. I've been told by warmoth the guard will fit no problem :) . I find the Warmoth mint green a little strong for my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1331842183' post='1579846']
I've actually had a WD music tort before, whilst it was very, very nice like the old Fender tort. The fit couldn't have been more off. I would order off them again though for a tort, however I'm going for mint green this time. It will be a fender made one for american standards. I've been told by warmoth the guard will fit no problem :) . I find the Warmoth mint green a little strong for my taste.
[/quote]
You do have to be careful which type you order from WD as there are a few versions to match the changes in spec over the years from Fender. And occasionally there is the odd hole missing (As I discovered), but they are pretty helpful if you contact them about it. Don't know if you'll have any better luck buyng a Fender one as its a Warmoth, but as they are licenced they should be a good fit - as long as you match the era...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1332846122' post='1593792']
You do have to be careful which type you order from WD as there are a few versions to match the changes in spec over the years from Fender. And occasionally there is the odd hole missing (As I discovered), but they are pretty helpful if you contact them about it. Don't know if you'll have any better luck buyng a Fender one as its a Warmoth, but as they are licenced they should be a good fit - as long as you match the era...
[/quote]
i fitted my Warmoth with a genuine Fender '62 RI tort plate [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/pickguards-scratchplates/pickguards-for-bass/pickguard-62-precision-bass-13-screw-holes-2-p-4663.html"]http://www.allparts....s-2-p-4663.html[/url] It is a perfect fit around the neck pocket and pickup routs and of course the 13holes you drill yourself in your body.

Std precision Fender made 13hole mint green here: [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/pickguards-scratchplates/pickguards-for-bass/pickguard-standard-precision-bass-13-screw-holes-p-4657.html"]http://www.allparts....les-p-4657.html[/url]

Edited by Twigman