Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flats for a 4001

omikin

I've just put a set of flats on my P-bass and I have to say I'm a convert. Love the way they feel and sound. The flats I got for the P-bass were cheap Fender ones, and I want to try flats on my 4001, but I was thinking about Thomastik Jazz flats as everyone seems to rave about them. Couple of questions - would they be that much better than my £18 Fender flats or is it just a case of personal preference? Also, if I do decide to get them, do I need to get the extra long ones or will the standard ones do?

I use D'Addario chrome flats on my Ricky 4003 ---- standard long scale! I had Ti flats on but prefer the D'Ads.

I have Ti flats on one of my Fenders that can try!

You are welcome to call round and try them out for yourself and bring your Ric to compare them with! - I am in Leeds too!

Will.

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1331650478' post='1576553']
Hi Will - thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that. What was it about the TI's that you didn't like?
[/quote]

Its not that I didnt like them, I just prefer the D'Adds on my Ric ( and also on my GL 2000 and Jaguar )

Love the Ti's on my Landing L1 and Fender Mustang and P-Basses!

Will.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love the Fender flats in the 9050CL set (custom light) 45-60-80-105. It depends on what kind of tone you want. If you lean towards the Rick "clank," but want flats to feel better and take a little edge off, these are your strings. If you want the Sir Macca tone, like off Sgt. Pepper, then the TI pure nickel jazz flats are your string. D'addarios and the other brands of "chrome" strings will give you hollow deep tone. Supposedly the new Optima strings are similar to the old Maxima strings that were OEM for Rickenbacker way back when, but that is one string I haven't gotten ahold of yet.

• 2 weeks later...